chapter 2: thats going to be a long ride

For a split second Yunjin felt like she was out of her own body. As if she was a third person just watching it all happening right before her eyes.

Her ex-girlfriend was wearing once-white jordan's, ripped black jeans and a leather black jacket over her white t-shirt that made her look like she was coming straight out of a teen movie. She was also wearing a black cap and her hair was much shorter than the last time Yunjin had seen her, cropped at a shoulder length. Yunjin could smell her familiar perfume - at least that much hadn't changed - and that was the last straw for the realness of that moment really hit her.

Chaewon was there. She really was there. Back and standing right in front of her door.

Yunjin was well aware that time was passing by but she couldn't bring herself to say anything. All she could do was stare at her like she was having a fever dream.

"May I come in?" The question burst the safety bubble Yunjin had created.

She frowned even deeper and blinked a few times before doing the only thing she thought fit for that moment: she closed the door shut right at Chaewon's face, without saying a single word.

That wasn't really happening, was it? It had to be a part of some big prank the universe was playing on her, right? Yunjin wondered as she paced back and forth by the door.

How dare she just show up at her door like that? How the hell did Chaewon even know where she lived in the first place? And what about the goddamn long time no see!? Was that really the first thing Yunjin heard coming out of her ex-girlfriend's mouth after over a year? Pathetic!

"Yunjin? Are you okay? I can hear you pacing in there." The familiar voice stood out coming from the other side and Yunjin closed her eyes tightly as she heard her again. She knew Chaewon was clinging by the door but she still didn't know exactly what she would do about it.

"You- I- fuck." Yunjin tried to answer but ended up stuttering, quietly cursing herself for that. She then turned away and stationed herself at a safe distance from Chaewon. Or rather, from the door. "Why are you here?"

"I need to talk to you."

"You need to leave."

"Hey, listen to me, please. Can you- dammit, Jen, can you please open up? It's weird talking to a door."

"I'd rather talk to the door right now, thank you." She replied unabashedly, sounding borderline childish.

"There's someone out here looking at me funny. I don't think she's happy that I'm yelling outside her hallway so early in the morning."

Great. Chaewon surely woke up one of her neighbors.

"Then go away!" Yunjin tried one last time, moving closer to the door to make sure she would be heard.

"I can't." Chaewon replied firmly. "Listen, I need to talk to you, okay? It can be through this door since you aren't answering my texts, but I'm not leaving until we do. It's up to you. Are we going to do this face to face or do you want all your neighbors to hear us?"

Yunjin knew Chaewon was dead serious because if there was one thing her ex-girlfriend didn't do, it was empty threats. Empty promises? Yeah, sure - her bitter self chose that moment to show its colors - but empty threats? No, never. That wasn't like her.

She knew from experience how stubborn Chaewon could be, and she also knew that her next door neighbor always tried to hide the fact that she was a fucking gossip seeker under the guise that she was just an overcommitted journalism major. Besides, two girls from the volleyball team also lived downstairs, and Yunjin would die before letting whatever the hell that was reach Jennie's ears to be used as ammunition against her.