For The First Time

Oliver

I could hear Ariana Grande’s “34+35” booming out of a music box as I stood outside the room in my campus block. For the third time, I looked at the flyer in my hand and hoped that I was not in the wrong block. I was already tired of roaming around aimlessly.

It was the beginning of the semester and I was lucky to have been granted permission to transfer from RHC to GBC in such short notice. Personally, I knew my lecturer-mom had a hand in my easy passage.

At the administration office, the secretary, a Miss Juliet, according to the nameplate on her door, had given me a flyer containing all the vital information I had to know about Great Beacons College. She also scribbled my block and room number behind it.

It said, Room 34C, Tanner Block.

GBC had five blocks, each representing a founder of the college: Carrick, Tanner. Aidan, Ginger and Beulah. Ginger and Beulah were the female blocks.

Currently, I was standing in front of my room with my things. The door was locked from within, meaning my roommate was in but instead of resorting to knocking, I let myself in with a twist of my own key. My spare key had a blue rubber tag attached to it which bore the name of the room, just like hotels do.

I heard the shower running but immediately, I closed the door behind me rather noisily, the shower stopped. Out of the blue, a skinny person jumped out of a room in the corner, probably the bathroom, shaking a loofah at me. I felt like laughing my head off as she tried to secure her towel tightly around her chest while still trying to look tough.

Then it hit me: she?

I was sent to a girl’s room? What sick game was that secretary playing?

“Who are you and how did you get in here?” she asked, still shaking her loofah left to right. I raised my hands in mock surrender.

“Hey, I mean no harm. It’s just a newbie mistake. Sorry for the interruption, baby girl.”

I bent over to pick up my stuff when I heard a malicious hiss from the girl in front of me.

“Baby girl? Who are you calling a girl?!” she screamed, firing deadly glares at me. Following that comment, she tugged down on her towel until she (or he. I was confused at that point) retied it again around her waist.

I was surprised to see a flat chest and a light dust of golden hair on it.

That creature was a boy?

He had slanty Asian eyes, an unnoticeable nose and the fullest pink lips I had ever seen. He had an indention on his lower lip, making him look totally kissable. His hair was a. . .honey and blonde kind of colour but they piled up on his head in curly ringlets.

That was a boy??

His sigh interrupted my perusal, dragging my focus back to his eyes, a glass colour I could not detect from the distance between us.

“I’m a boy, you idiot,” he announced, “and you haven’t actually answered any of my questions.”

He folded his arms across his chest and jutted out a hip.

That was a boy??? my brain kept screaming.

“Hi, I’m Oliver Fields and I’m your new roommate. Nice to meet you.”