Meri Anjali

Anjali! The name consumed Rahul's thoughts as he chased after her ghost. Where was she? Why did she run off? So many questions plagued his mind, and she was the only one with answers. Rahul felt drawn to another woman for the first time since Tina's passing. He'd be damned if he let that thrill escape him.

Rahul? Anjali's voice was meek as she met up with her campers, staff, and Rahul in the soaked tent.

Why was her chest squirming with guilt when she met Rahul's eyes inside the camp? Anjali didn't make any promises to him.

Rahul mein, Anjali tried to stitch together an excuse for abandoning him and to cut budding hope in his heart before it flourished into something catastrophic.

Anjali, Rahul's smile radiated eagerness, like a child who finally met the height requirements for the much-awaited rollercoaster. Mein tumse baat karna cha raha tha.

Rahul smoothed his wet hair back, the way he did in college, making the girls swoon over him. Actually mein wahi karna cha raha tha par tum-

Bang! Despite crouching to enter through the hut's small door, Aman's head hit the ceiling. It was a sharp pain, like the sound of steel vibrating through his skull. Aman stumbled inside, poking fun at Anjali's treasured camp. She was so fixated on Rahul that Anjali didn't register Aman's jests. She looked at Rahul as if he were a volcano on the verge of erupting - would he say anything? Would he tell Aman about their stolen moments?

Anjali watched as the sparkle in Rahul's eyes dimmed upon his realization that Aman was here for her. Rahul fell back a little. Had they not been best friends, Anjali wouldn't have noticed how his shoulders shrugged back in defeat or how his daughter rushed to support her father with a tight hand.

Rahul taunted Anjali as he held his daughter's hand with proud ownership of a girl who would stand behind him, unlike her when he said ye hai meri Anjali.

As oblivious as always, Aman didn't understand the double-entre behind Rahul's words.

Anjali grimaced under the scrutiny of Rahul's eyes. Knowing she crushed little Anjali and Rahul's mother's dreams, she felt abominable.

Aman's gentle hands around her waist brought her back. His embrace sheltered her from the storm that was disapproving glances. She breathed him in and remembered why she'd said yes to their engagement - he felt like home.

Aur ye meri Anjali hai.

The world stilled around them, but she didn't care. Anjali wanted to engross herself in a world where it was just Aman and her.

Tumhari Anjali? She looked up at him with a challenge in her eyes.

Haan, meri Anjali. He insisted smugly.

Anjali gently tore his arms away from her waist, grabbed a towel from a nearby bench and faced him. Anjali started drying his hair off.

Anjali would seldom say those three magical words, but through these small moments of care, Aman knew her heart was in this relationship.

Anjali sirf Anjali ki hai. Main kisi ki property nahi hoon. Aman grinned at her fierceness and independence, knowing the battles she fought to become so confident in herself.

Just moments ago, she was drowning in regret and shame. Now, she laughed in Aman's arms as he spattered her with droplets and shook his head like a wet dog. He made her world brighter. He made her heart lighter. He made her happy.

Aur Aman sirf iss Anjali ka hai. Sirf tumhari. That was their truth. That was their peace.