Chapter 1: A Hitch In The Lunch Plan

"You aren't going to be late again, are you?" Matthew asked and Alfred rolled his eyes, setting down his phone to pull his shoes on. "Do you really doubt me that much, dude?"

"When it comes to family gatherings, yes."

The blond picked up his phone. "At least being late to a family gathering isn't as bad as being late to a meeting," he said.

Alfred could practically feel his twin's glare through the phone. For some reason, he was suddenly fearful for his life.

"I'm joking, Mattie."

The feeling faded away. "I know." Matthew chuckled lightly. "Just please don't be late. You know papa has been planning this for a while."

"I know, I know," Alfred said with a smile, slipping on his bomber jacket and putting his wallet in his pocket. "Look, bro, I promise I won't be late." He unlocked the hotel door and opened it. "And if I don't—"

He stopped.

A middle-aged brunet man stood in front of the blond's doorway, wearing a black business suit and carrying what looked like a briefcase. He raised a brow.

"Al? Are you alright?"

"Uhh—" Alfred blinked. "Yeah, I'm all good, Matt! Sorry, I just got distracted— thought I lost my room key for a sec, hah!"

After a moment, Matthew asked, "Do I need to send you a calendar reminder?"

"Of course not, bro!" Alfred laughed. He looked at the man and silently waved him inside, moving out of the way as the brunet walked past. The teen closed the door again. "I'll be there, chill!"

The man didn't hesitate, immediately walking over to the window and tugging the curtains closed. Alfred set his jaw and started taking off his jacket.

"Or you can just meet me in the lobby at six, and we can go together," Matthew suggested. "That way, I can be fully confident you won't be late."

"I don't need an escort, dude!" Alfred argued, switching the phone to his other hand to pull his jacket off the rest of the way. "I'm an adult!"

"I beg to differ."

The man lightly tugged up the sleeve of his suit, not bothering to be subtle about checking at his watch. Alfred pressed his lips into a thin line. "You're mean, dude. But fine! I'll be the bigger person here and agree to meeting you in the lobby at six."

"Don't be late."

"All I have to do is walk down some stairs!"

Alfred could hear the smile in his brother's voice. "Then there's no reason you should be late."

"I won't be," Alfred said. "Well, I gotta go, Mattie. Love you, bro! See you in a few hours."

"Love you, too, Alfie."

As soon as he ended the call, the suited man shoved a Faraday bag at him. "You know the drill, A."

"Yeah, I do, but—" Alfred shook his head, dropping his phone into the bag, "you couldn't have given me a heads up or something? Come on, V! I was about to go get lunch, dude!"

"You can get lunch after," Agent V said, handing the blond another pair of glasses, what looked like a wrist-watch, and a black suit identical to his own. "This shouldn't take more than an hour, anyway. Get dressed."

Alfred walked to the bathroom without question, kicking off my shoes. He put on the watch and removed his glasses in favor of the ones V gave to him. A screen blinked to life behind the lenses, filtering through the information as V said it through the door. "Someone slipped through under our radar during the containment of 2010. Mariana Eduarda Ribeiro Rocha Alves moved to Queens from São José in 2013."