Chapter 7: Camp Half-Blood Kicks My Derriere

OOTD: A long-sleeve version of the camp shirt that I bought from the camp store, paired with black joggers and white sneakers.

Makeup: Not much. Just my eyeliner and some lip balm today.

Hairstyle: A low ponytail.

Fragrance: 'Dad, Come Pick Me Up, I'm Scared!', an exclusive new scent by Chanel Hastings.

Dear Diary,

I think I know why Mom still hasn't claimed me yet. She probably saw all the butt-kicking I was receiving and was too ashamed to acknowledge me.

The gossip on Olympus was probably going something like this:

"Hey, Aphrodite, isn't that wimpy demigoddess your daughter?"

"Who?"

"Your daughter, Chanel Hastings."

"Chanel Hastings? What's a 'Chanel Hastings'? The only Chanel I know is Coco!" *Cue Aphrodite scurrying away in embarrassment*.

Yeah, Mom definitely wasn't bragging about me during any Olympus parties.

You see, diary, Monday was my first official day of training. Since the winter session didn't technically begin until next week, the current camp schedule was sort of a DIY kind of thing, with meals and combat practice being the only formal activities. Next week, when more kids arrived for winter break, there would be more official programming.

I was kind of glad that I started training with less campers around; that meant less people to see me fumble around like when I tried walking in heels for the first time.

I had arrived at the arena trying my best to look and feel confident, but the truth was that I felt a little terrified. I spent a long time with Chiron testing out different weapons in the armory. I'd settled on a spear because it felt much better than the swords and daggers I'd tried, but I couldn't find a spear that felt just right; each one was just a little too heavy, a little too long, a little too thick of a shaft, etcetera.

The spear I'd chosen was a more modern one that could collapse inward on itself and be carried like a small baton. Unfortunately, as cool as the spear was, it didn't feel perfectly right either. It had a shaft that was just a little too thick and was hard to move easily in my hands. I wanted to spend more time testing out other spears, but I could tell Chiron was starting to feel the same way Dad did whenever he went shopping with me and watched me waste a bajillion hours trying on clothes.

So there I was in the arena, waiting for my first session. Chiron decided to pair the beginners with some of the more experienced fighters for mentoring, and I found myself in a group of three with Tharika and Mikhailo. After Chiron called our names, I walked up to them nervously.

"Hey, long-time-no-see!" I tried for a joke. "Guess you guys are stuck with me."

Tharika returned a smile. Mikhailo didn't even acknowledge me as he prepped his armor.

"This is your first time fighting, right?" asked Tharika. "Feeling nervous?"

I snorted. "Only...a lot."

"It's okay. I was pretty rusty too when I first started out. But some good training whipped me into shape real quick." Tharika straightened up her own armor and put on a helmet with dark blue feathers and different constellations etched into the metal. "Why don't you start off by watching Mikhailo and me? Just so you can get the idea?"

I nodded and took a seat at the nearest bench.

Tharika stood off to one end of our spot with her matching double-ended daggers, while Mikhailo walked silently to the other end. He reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked like the hilt of a sword, but with no actual blade. At first I was confused and thought Mikhailo had broken his sword, until he pressed his thumb to the end of the silver hilt, and the large blade suddenly sprang out. He flipped the sword around in his hand for a better grip and got into a fighting stance.