Chapter 1: Forget Yourself.

The grass was dead, all different shades of yellow. As feet stomped, they plummeted into the soily ground, creating echoes through the city. Barbed wire fences were the only thing keeping them out, for now.
I stood still, I was inspecting them from afar. The way they looked... Each individual had its own expressions, hair,clothes and ethnicity. But I knew for sure they weren't one of us, they were far from it. They had already lost themselves to the evil infected people among us.
I began to wander close to the barbed wire fences, and as I did, they tore their fleshy, deteriorated hands through the holes in the fence. As they did so, it tore through their skin as well as the sleeves on their shirts. Shivers went down my spine to the tips of my fingers.
Out of my pocket came my ka-bar, a special fighting knife I looted from the city's hunting shop on the way to these borders. I clutched it in my hands as I took a swing at one of the monster's hands that slid through the fencing. It plonked to the ground, I took a few steps back, scrutinising the hand as its fingers began to twitch and crawl their way over to me.
It dragged its boney, rotten forearm over to me just by using its fingers. I fell back out of pure shock, these dead people were evolving, and fast. As I scrambled to my feet, it began climbing up my boot, trying to claw its way through my jeans. I kicked it off my shoe. I was now stomping on it with all my might as it twitched and flailed its fingers around.
"Ew!" I muttered, now wiping its flesh off my boot, now examining the brown blood on the tips of my fingers.
I'd sigh, dropping my hand to my side. This was not the first time I'd ever killed a walker as they're usually overpowered and far too aggressive to fight with. These living carcusses not only are able to fight amazingly for a 0 IQ dumby, they can sprint. And since they have no stamina, as they are dead, they can sprint for miles.
I moved far back from the fence and I slowly turned around, I forwarded towards the exit of the enclosed prison. As I walked, I would then tuck my knife into my belt and I'd wipe the blood from my fingertips onto my muddy, distressed jeans.
As I reached the other side of the border, I'd reach my hand out and I'd unbolt the barbed-wire gate open, slowly and quietly, otherwise god knows what sort of parasitic creatures I would attract.
'Reflections and sounds..' I would think to myself, keeping that in mind as I'd begin venturing out in a total new direction. That solitary prison was my home - for as long as the city burnt down, that's where I lived - 'this is one of my first times going out this way,' I'd pull out my hand drawn map from my pocket, pointing to it as I thought to myself methodically 'I'd already cleared out all other directions and it seems I've scavenged everything  possible.' I'd adjust my hair behind my ears and I'd look up for a good second. I'd listen carefully as the sun would gleam down into my eyes through the heavily forested surroundings.
The prison wasn't forested, instead it was cleared out but with dead, yellow, tall grass everywhere where there should be bright, healthy grass or instead cement slabs. Ever since the apocalypse started, the days seemed to get shorter and hotter but the nights were long, cold and scary.
Nobody dared to go out at night and ever since this sudden change the plants surrounding me have almost all died out - Barely any vegetation or food left. And especially at night time - the walkers were most aggressive then, they were all grouped up and harder to kill.
I'd clench onto my knife as I'd tear it out of my belt. I'd do a three-sixty and I'd exhale, relieved that nothing had managed to sneak up on me in that quick daydream. Continuing walking, I'd slash and whack any bushed areas in my path, creeping my way through the large ferns and hedges ahead of me.
As soon as I peered my head through the trees, a small cabin appeared 'Food!' I began to hurry myself in that direction, eager to scavenge a new area. As I reached the porch of the house, I lowered myself down into a sneaking ninja position as I crept up to the warn down and scratched up steps of the house.
The house was a pale blue, it was extremely run down so the paint was  chipped and parts of the roof had collapsed completely, the windows had been shattered and vines rained down the sides like it hadn't been cleaned in years - which was almost close to the truth.
Every step I took on the floor boards it made a creak sound which was going to make this mission a lot harder than it already was. As I snuck my way through the 1 story cabin, I heard groaning and slow, shuffling footsteps 'Oh no..' I held my breath as I pursed my lips together tightly.
Through the door frame tore a walker, it leapt onto me, gripping onto my shoulders as it attempted to take a chunk out of my throat. As it snarled and snorted, I'd try and shove it away with all my strength, but it tore straight through my arms and it lunged its boney fingers into my neck.
With my hands now free, I'd tangle my arm into my belt as I sneered in agony. I'd tear my knife out of my belt, flinging my fist that was full with a knife back into its skull. The walker turned motionless, dropping itself onto the floor.
As I cried out in pain, my knife slipped out of my palms and released into the floor. I'd plummet to the ground, leaning against the mossy walls of the house. I'd grab onto my neck with all my strength to try and stop the bleeding, when I tried to call out in pain, the only thing that emitted from my mouth was muffled gurgles and gasps for air.
From the otherside of the room was a mirror, it was cracked up and cobwebs had formed across the surface, but I could still recognise myself. 'What have I become?' I'd think as I'd stare at myself in the mirror, clinging onto my tore jugular. Blood poured down my neck, dripping onto my white tank top, saturating it in vivid colours of bright red.
As I clutched harder, my hands began to slip around, smudging the blood up my throat and all over my chest. I stared into my green eyes in the mirror, my face was now grimacing out of shock and pain. There was so much blood, it had completely concealed the freckles on my face as it still sprayed myself down like a fountain.
All I could think about was what am I? Who am I? But unfortunately there was no answer for that. I didn't know what I had become. Am I as bad as one of the creepers? Am I as good as the Weapers? Neither. I'd reach my hand up and I'd tuck my chocolatey coloured hair out of the way of my vision so I'd be able to get one last look at myself before I turned.
One thought flew through my brain... 'Mother like daughter.' Soon, my hands dropped down by my sides and as I knew it, I was unconscious.