17 - Reborn

{Y/N's POV}

Black, thick blood slowly oozes from the wound in the creature's bony back after Y/n pulls the knife out. She tries not to gag at the sight.

As soon as the knife is removed from the creature, Masky grunts as he shoves the lifeless thing off of his body and rises from the ground. She notices that he has four, thin, bloodied slits in the arm of his jacket from the creature's claws, his mask is tilted on his head, and he has splotches of night stalker blood all over his clothes.

After recollecting himself, he fixes his Mask, looks at Y/n and says, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Y/n hesitates before replying with, "Why would I be kidding?"

"Listen, I don't blame you for running away. I may be a proxy but as I've told you, I do remember being human. I'd probably do something similar if I was in your shoes. This though? This is just fucking stupid. Running away in this dimension after only being here a week is a death wish."

"You know I don't care if I die!" she yells, and at the sound of her voice, footsteps and croaks of night stalkers appear from close by.

"ENOUGH OF THIS BULLSHIT!" he yells back, "We have to go NOW!" Masky suddenly turns his back towards her and squats down slightly.

"Are you kidding me? I'm not getting on your back."

The night stalkers that inspected the rock sock that he threw earlier start to swarm back over at the sounds of their voices and rush over hungrily once they see them.

"GET ON MY BACK NOW!" he yells, and as a night stalker goes to claw at her, she screams and jumps on his back. As she does so, he wraps his arms underneath her legs and bolts back towards the mansion.

Right off the bat, Y/n can tell that he must have the forest memorized rather well, because in about 10 minutes of consistent running, he's right back at the tall, metal gate and grand mansion.

'Maybe at some point I can convince him or someone else to guide me to the mirror,' she thinks to herself as she notices this.

If Y/n has learned anything, it's that the night stalkers are relentless. Although Masky was able to get rather far away from them, they have continued to follow him pretty much the whole way through.

Once Masky arrives at the gate, he slows for a moment to open it, and in that one moment, the night stalkers manage to catch up. Right as they try to grab Y/n, he swiftly runs behind the bars with her still on his back and locks the gate shut. They bite at the bars, the metal clanking against their teeth as they do so.

Once they're definitely safe, he loosens his arms to let her off of him. Y/n slowly drops off his back and begins to feel immense guilt. Masky continues to catch his breath and stares at the night stalkers behind the bars.

"Masky, I'm sorry," she mutters, "I won't run off again."

He ignores her. After a moment, she sees his Mask go slightly above his head as he raises a cigarette to his mouth from his pocket and ignites a black lighter. She walks over to his side so she's not still facing his back, and watches as he inhales a puff of smoke and blows it in the creature's faces. As soon as the grey tobacco cloud approaches their faces, they remove their teeth from the bars, and begin to walk away.

"Even they don't like the smell. Sometimes I think they show less interest in me because I stink of this shit," he remarks, taking puffs from the cigarette.

"I guess I should keep some cigs on me for the fight to the death a week from now," she says while looking down and digging her foot into some dirt against the stone walkway.