Ancient Beginnings

The forest was cloaked in a serene, almost mystical light

The forest was cloaked in a serene, almost mystical light. Sunlight filtered through the dense canopy, casting dappled patterns of gold and green across the forest floor. The air was filled with the earthy scent of damp soil and the soft rustle of leaves, creating a symphony of nature's whispers.

Towering trees, their branches stretching towards the heavens, stood like ancient guardians, their thick trunks wrapped in a blanket of moss. The underbrush was dense, with ferns and wildflowers peeking through the shadows, adding splashes of color to the verdant landscape.

Maya and I walked cautiously along a narrow, winding path, the sound of their footsteps muffled by the thick carpet of fallen leaves. They had ventured deep into the heart of the forest, drawn by a sense of adventure and the promise of uncovering its hidden secrets.

"Teka lang, Maya, parang may inilibing dito..." I said, stopping suddenly. My eyes locked onto a mound covered with dead leaves that seemed out of place.

"Taena naman ne'to oh.. U-umalis na tayo rito Ysa...." Maya stammered, her voice shaking with unease.

I couldn't shake the feeling of discovery that tingled in the air. Ignoring Maya's plea, I knelt down and began to clear the leaves with my hands. The earth beneath was damp and cool, sending a shiver up my spine as I worked to uncover what lay hidden. An eerie stillness descended upon us, broken only by the occasional rustle of the forest.

"Ysa, seriously, this is giving me the creeps. We should go," Maya insisted, her anxiety growing.

Hindi ko pinakinggan ang kaibigan, my gaze fixed on the grave, a strange connection sparking within me. As the last of the leaves fell away, the silhouette of a weathered skeleton emerged. 

"W-what the hell, Ysa?!" Maya exclaimed, taking a step back. 

Just as I was about to touch it, the ground beneath me suddenly gave way. With a gasp, I felt myself falling, the forest spinning around me as I tumbled into the darkness.

The ground gave way beneath me, and I tumbled into darkness, my scream echoing through the hollow space. I landed with a thud, the impact sending a jolt of pain through my body. Above, I could hear Maya's panicked voice.

"Ysa! Ysa! Are you okay?" sigaw niya, nanginginig ang boses sa takot.

"I'm fine!" I called back, pinipilit bumangon habang sinusuri ang sarili. Bukod sa ilang pasa, mukhang wala naman akong seryosong pinsala.

"I'm going to call for help!" Maya yelled, her voice distant yet filled with urgency.

"Okay!" I replied, trying to keep my voice steady despite the situation.

As I adjusted to the dim light, I suddenly remembered the small flashlight in my pocket. Fumbling in the dark, I pulled it out and clicked it on. The beam of light cut through the darkness, revealing my surroundings. What I saw took my breath away.

Nasa isang malaking kweba ako, ang mga pader ay punung-puno ng mga intricate carvings at sinaunang simbolo. Makapal ang hangin, amoy-lupa at parang may edad na, at nakaramdam ako ng pagkaakit. Ipinailaw ko ang flashlight sa paligid, at tumambad sa akin ang isang malaking bato na parang pintuan. Napapaligiran ito ng detalyadong ukit ng mga mitikal na nilalang at mga simbolong misteryoso. Kahit luma na ang bato, halatang napaka-galing ng pagkakagawa, bawat linya at kurba ay tila may kuwento.

Napanganga ako sa ganda at laki ng mundong nadiskubre ko sa ilalim. Ang sinaunang pintuan, ang intricate carvings, ang mga tahimik na tagapagbantay—lahat ay nagkukuwento ng isang nakalipas na panahon, naghihintay na muling matuklasan.