➛➛➛

"It's a girl?" 

"You don't have to say it like that Mags this isn't a gender reveal." Alex Walter's infamous eye roll was detected even though the phone. 

"Well, for me, it is. I was expecting a boy and now boom girl!" Magnolia yelled through her phone.

"Disappointed?" Alex teased

"Um, Yeah." She stated the obvious

"Sorry Mags, but you'll like Jackie. She's so pretty, I mean, she was instantly the most beautiful girl in the room." Alex recalled.

"She was the only girl in the room when you saw her?" Magnolia squinted through the phone as she recalled the events that Alex had told her. 

"Well, yes, but- never mind. So anyway, did you do the homework?" Alex changed the subject

"What homework?" Magnolia moved her face closer to the screen.

"You didn't do the homework?" Alex furrowed his eyebrows 

Magnolia grinned cheekily, "No, I've just done so much homework that you have to be a little more specific." 

Alex rolled his eyes playfully, "The History Homework." 

"Which was about that essay~" Her voice questioned as Magnolia raised her eyebrows, attempting to guess the assignment she hadn't done. 

"Reading." Alex corrected, smiling slightly at her slip-up.

"Reading! Yup Es-reading on the...," Her voice raised again as she guessed, "war of 18-"

"The Treaty of Versailles." Alex corrected again.

"Oh yeah, the Es-reading on the Treaty of Versailles, which I totally did because it ended the war of 18-" But Alex cut her off again. 

"World War I." 

"Um, you didn't let me finish. The Treaty of Versailles which ended the War of the First World War. That's what I was gonna say." Magnolia nodded, giggling slightly. 

"Oh yeah, I bet." Alex rolled his eyes at the girl, sarcasm evident in the comment. 

"Whatever, did you do the reading?" Magnolia asked accusingly.

"I did it during class."

"Liar, you started re-reading the Hobbit again." 

"Okay so maybe I started to re-read again. Weren't you just talking about re-reading The Summer I Turned Pretty?" Alex raised his eyebrows accusingly.

"Y'know this conversation is getting tiresome. Don't you have an early morning tomorrow., You better go."

"Ahh, avoiding the question? What, is this your sixth time reading all three books?" The boy recalled

"Good Night I hope the bed bugs bite!" Magnolia teased hanging up the Facetime call despite the protest from the other side. 

After a few seconds, Magnolia's phone buzzed with a message from the same boy she had been calling, 'Good night and sweet dreams :)' Smiling to herself Magnolia plugged in her phone as she got ready for bed. As she washed her face she couldn't help but smile and giggle slightly, remembering her conversations with her favorite Walter boy. His kind smile and pretty eyes never failed to put her in a trance. That night she fell asleep to a scenario of soft hazel eyes and a relationship she longed for.

➛➛➛

Magnolia got to first period History early in the hope of catching Alex. Around her students were very energetic which she saw as unnecessary considering it was 7 in the morning. Luckily there sat the light-haired boy, chin down, reading to himself the same books he had teased him about the previous night. 

"Then they all died. The end." Magnolia pretended to read over his shoulder.

"Har Har." Alex mock-laughed before sticking his nose right back into the book. 

As Alex read Magnolia sat on the desk next to him watching as a new face walked around the maze of desks and students "Oh, that must be her. She is really pretty." She turned to talk to Alex but he ignored her. "Asshole," She muttered as Jackie approached the desk.

"Do you sit here?" Jackie asked pointing to the empty chair.

"Yeah, or no. Sorry, the desk is free I just- never mind. Don't mind me I don't know how to speak to people." Magnolia mentally kicked herself as she got off the desk to stand next to the girl. 

"Mags what are you-" Alex turned his head but quickly shut up once he saw Jackie. 

"Hey Alex, can I sit here?" The new girl asked as she pointed at the seat. But the boy went mute as he looked from the desk next to him to Jackie.

Silently, Magnolia kicked Alex from under the desk to remind him he had to talk, "Um sure." He finally mustered up while putting his book away. He never put his book away for Mags.

"Don't stop for me." Jackie started a conversation as Magnolia walked off to her seat in front of Paige. 

Paige shot glares towards the new girl before flipping around to look at Magnolia. "Who does she think she is?"

Magnolia flinches back not aware that she and Paige had suddenly become friends, "Um she probably thinks she's Jackie, the new girl." She pointed out the obvious

"Well, I know that much I mean who does she think she is flirting with Alex." 

"Okay two things here, one: I don't think she's flirting with him," Paige narrowed her eyes at Magnolia's comment, "and two. Hi Paige how are you?" Not waiting for an answer Magnolia continued her rhetorical conversation, "I know that we aren't friends or that you would even acknowledge my presence after your little thing with Alex, god knows you barely did when you were with him, but I guess I'm fine thanks for asking." Magnolia smiled sweetly at her as Paige rolled her eyes and turned back around at her desk. 

But the silence didn't last long, "I know what he looks like when he has a crush, and it's the look he's giving her. I'm saying I'm looking out for you."

"Gee thanks, Paige but I don't think I need to worry about that. He barely knows her and they live together, he wouldn't. But thanks again!" 

"Watch." Paige smugly whipped back around as Mr. Piper asked Jackie to introduce herself.

"Hi, I'm Jackie Howard and I just moved here from New York." 

"And what brings you from the Big Apple to Silver Falls?" Mr. Piper asked.

 Jackie stood still as she tried to muster up some words, "I..." Her mouth opened and closed as she tried to say something but couldn't find the words, "I..."

"Uh, change of scenery," Alex spoke up for her standing up as well, "Y'know just getting some of that good ol' country air." Alex smiled and nodded in a way that made Magnolia cringe. "Right Jackie?" 

"Alright then..." Mr piper saved from the awkwardness, "Everyone, make Jackie feel welcome."  

Paige turned around in her seat to mouth, 'told you so,' before Mr. Piper called on her to read. Magnolia watched as Paige looked at Alex only to see the boy staring at the red-haired girl as well. Quickly averting his eyes Alex leaned in to whisper to Jackie as Magnolia buried her head in her textbook. 

Paige was bluffing, I mean why was she messing with her when she hadn't even talked to her since fifth grade? It was obviously just to get in her head. But why? Magnolia glanced over at Jackie who was sharing the textbook with Alex as Alex offered Jackie his signature smile while moving the book closer to her. 

Yeah, Paige was definitely just trying to get in her head. Alex wouldn't just like the first other girl to give him attention... right?