𝟎𝟎. prologue

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household
of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty
of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters. And for the Blair Family, after a lucky year for them it seems as if the youngest daughter, Anastasia, remains unmarried. We can only hope the beauty can have the same luck for both sisters.

     ANASTASIA'S heart softly bumped as she read the paper, sighing at the mention of her being pushed back into society, once again. Anastasia hated things like these. She didn't need a husband. But, society— men, believed that's what a women was for. But, of course she had no control in the state she was in.

Her fingertips grazed the baby pink dress. The satin fabric hugged her body with ease, enhancing her breasts as her mother would say. She sighed once she heard the faint knock at her door. Her first thought was her father, quickly scrambling as she shoved the paper into her drawer quickly. Her father, Adam, was always pushy to his girls, eager for them to make it in society. Sometimes it was to much. The constant picking and plucking was exhausting. Like the breath was being stripped out of your lungs.

"Come in," her voice was soft and graceful, some would say angelic. "Your being requested down stairs, dear." Anastasia's maid, Cassidy, stated whilst holding the door open. She nodded, making her way out of her room. Her footsteps traveled through the halls of her, rather big, home. Adam was a wealthy man, who inherited unnecessary large amounts of money from his father. Sadly, his arrogance was only heightened after that.

"Sister, have you read the papers? Whistle down has a big trap, does she not?" Her older sister, Alice, teased with her face buried into the letter. Anastasia rolled her eyes, plopping on the couch next to her. "She does indeed."

Footsteps behind her were heard, comforting and soft. It was her brother, Elijah. She adored her eldest brother. Sometimes she wished he was her father— he practically raised her, anyway. Elijah walked to the small table, pouring a cup of tea, "Isn't it a bit early for gossip, sisters?" He questioned. Alice scoffed, her eyes still glued onto the paper, "You wish it was to early."

Anastasia crossed her arms, leaning downwards with a dramatic sigh, "What's wrong, Sister? Not excited for the ball?" Alice teased, "You were delighted on presenting yourself."

Anastasia stood up at the mention of her debut, walking over to the bookshelf. She could've had a match by now, and no one in London interested her. She wasn't a fan for fakeness or something that isn't passionate. How could she not? Anastasia dreamed of experiencing the love she reads in her books but she was running out of hope. "Well, I looked damn good, right?" She tried to joke, winking at her sister who giggled. "Damn right."

Anastasia hid her disappointed face in her book, trying to calm herself. Her father begged her to be presented again, but she refused. Elijah eyed his youngest sister, knowing what her truth was. Especially when she saw father making his way down the stairs with their mother. Anastasia pushed the book back into the shelf neatly before speaking, "Ready to go, Father?" Adam looked at his daughter, shaking his head. "Yes. To go see the new Diamond of the season."

Anastasia sighed, watching him walk away. Her mother, Cecily, simply looked away, grabbing Adam's arm with ease as they walked outside to the carriages. Elijah took his sisters arm, following his parents.

The Blair family is a hard book to read. You can never tell what happens inside there home or what they desire. That's how Lord Blair wanted it. He wanted his life a secret for the sake of his children, but it never wrapped around to Elijah to why. Everyone in the Ton was full of gossip and rumors. But, no one had nothing bad to say about the family. Not that they knew of.