3

"hello?" calum entered the home, bellowing out his words to assure that someone would hear. moses was out with a few of the other guys, probably trying to pick up girls. calum typically would be out with them, and his trips would end up successful. he'd leave the rest behind with a blonde bombshell tucked beneath his arm, and the two of them would head back to the apartment he shared with someone he met from his first, and only, semester of university, michael. michael was always out, as he also was in a band, so he and calum never really exchanged many words.

however, today, calum decided to come over and enjoy the company of maisie. he tried to convince himself it was strictly for the songwriting, but it took someone special to be able to drag him away from meeting girls.

calum really wasn't a bad guy. he'd never actually had sex with any of the girls he met. usually, they'd go back to his, watch something on tv and eat some snacks, and maybe make out a little on his couch. he'd always remember their names, and he always would take their numbers. he never used them, but the girls never called him either, so the feelings were mutual.

maisie peeked over the banister of the staircase to find calum standing alone in the foyer. "you can come on up, if you want," she yelled down to him.

maisie was the one to invite calum over. much like him, she tried to tell herself the same, that it was strictly for the band, and nothing else. the two of them were songwriting. he never made her blush, and she most definitely did not think about him all the time. at least, that's what her mind kept repeating when she felt her heart race at the sight of him.

calum trudged up the stairs, meeting maisie in her room. she had two guitars on stands on one side of the room, which really grabbed calum's attention.

"you play?"

she shrugged. "i'm not good. i just mess around with them sometimes. mostly, i like looking at them. i think guitars are beautiful. is that super weird?"

calum smiled and shook his head. "nah, not at all."

maisie's face lit up as she walked toward the guitars. "this one actually was a gift from mo. it was super cool, the way he got it for me. like, he heard me going on and on all the time about guitars and how i thought they were, like, the greatest thing since like sliced bread or something. one day, he just walked in with this case, and i figured he got it for himself or something, and then he handed it to me. it wasn't even my birthday or christmas or anything. he'd saved up for, like, months for it."

"you two are close, huh?"

"he's a dickhead."

calum laughed. "i can agree with you on that sometimes."

"but, i love him to pieces. he's kinda my bestfriend."

"that's sweet."

maisie rolled her eyes. "tell anyone else that, and i'll totally beat your ass."

"aw, come on, maiz. you know you're all sweet and gushy mushy on the inside, and you know you love it." calum poked her ribs, causing her to giggle and pull away. "i bet your boyfriend feels like he was blessed or something."

"i, uh, don't have a boyfriend," she said softly, looking down at her hands which she had tangled together at some point. 

"really?" calum asked, hoping that the excitement in his voice was not as noticeable as it was in his head.

"really. it's, um, just me."

"oh, well... listen, anyone would be super lucky to have you."

maisie looked into calum's chocolate colored eyes, a faint smile on her lips. "you really think that, or are you just saying it to try and pity me? because you don't have to do that, you can be honest with me."

calum grinned back at her, and he fought back the urge to kiss her. "i really do, maisie. i think you're pretty damn amazing."

"calum, you hardly know me."

"i know you well enough to tell you that you're... incredible. and that everything i've said, i mean."

maisie let out a small giggle, one caused by embarrassment. she really had no words.

"okay, that was fuckin' adorable."

"shut up," she whined, as she laughed a little harder. "don't tell anyone that either."

"well, then, i guess i'll just have to tell you how cute you are more often, since i'm not allowed to tell anyone else."

she felt her cheeks grow warm, so to save herself the complete humiliation of letting calum hood see her blush at something he had said to her, she quickly backed away from him and stood up, reaching for a notebook lying on her bedside table.

"so, um.. these are my lyrics,  i guess. if you wanna look through them really quick, and let me know which ones are good. or, if they all suck, that's cool, too."

calum nodded, feeling like a complete idiot for flirting with her. she totally shut him down. "uh, yeah. that sounds good."