• a decision •

A note fell and she visibly gasped. Loud enough to be heard if she weren't in one far corner of the library. She immediately picked the note after her initial shock and there it was. She recognized who this could be from. She scanned the letter wanting to read it right here, right now but her book was waiting and she wanted to get over with it first. However, she placed the letter in her bag and continued reading. The book kept on getting fascinating just like her curiosity and just as she was about to shut the book and reach for her bag, the library was winding down. She looked outside only to realize it would soon be pitch black and she neatly put the book into her bag rushing to the table. She asked her friend about when was the last time someone had issued the book and her friend told her it had been issued a month before only to be returned today morning before she barged in. The poor librarian had no idea why she was being interrogated. She might've even feared that something happened to the book. Yet, she politely asked what was the problem. She replied that she had loved the book so far and what took so long for her friend to give her the book. The librarian sure looked relaxed after that and she could leave without being hit with a bunch of other questions.

Throughout her path, she would think about the letter and then about the book and then about the significance of the letter being placed at that certain page of the book. She was so curious, yet so scared? Why, you ask? Well, her interactions have always been so limited at least, that is what she thinks. Everyone around her town and the other town recognizes her, but no one knows her. They just know the reader, the writer and not the dreamer. They understand words and literature and not art. They look for grounded, tangible things in dreamy, fantastic worlds. But then, she was the same with everyone. She gave off the practical vibes. She knew her limitations and was vocal of them all. She felt like she had nothing to hide and yet there wasn't a single person she could think of s=who knew her.

As she entered her house, she was met with the delicious aroma of the soup her father used to cook. She longed to taste it just once more but she knew she would go hungry every night the soup was made. Her mother though kind enough to ask her to join them for dinner which she immediately declined and went to her room. She freshened up and went into the kitchen sink to wash all the dirty dishes. They had already been washed. She was surprised to say the least. She was always expected to do the chores to make up for all the time she wasn't home but her she didn't have to do anything tonight. The hall looked tidier than ever. Things more set in place than she had ever seen her family bother about. Her mind raced with questions and she knew where to find them. Her mother. The final boss of the house.

Entering the room, she was hit with a strong aroma of her father's deo which her mother would only use for special occasions. She was so tempted to return. So desperate to go to her room, to her book and primarily to her... the letter. Yet, she entered the room waiting for her mother to pay attention which after a few minutes she did. The moment her mother noticed her there was a small smile tugging at her lips horribly failing at trying to be concealed. Though her mother's eyes looked surprised, her daughter knew all too well that something was up. And tonight, she wasn't in the mood for playing around. So, she directly asked the question – "Why are all of my chores done? Why does the hall looked like it was all built, cleaned and set up today? Why are there new things lying around casually, decorating the house?" All of these asked in a single breath and the answer immediately knocked all the air out of her.

"Because we had people over to get you married to their son." And that was when she knew her world stopped spinning. So focused was she on making sure she heard the correct thing, that she didn't realize her mother asking her what was wrong. What was wrong? WHAT WAS WRONG? Everything. Everything was wrong, her mind screamed. Her heart lamented all while, she stood too still to breath. Her mother approached her preventing the fall she would've taken. She was made to sit down and shook to return to 'this world.' Apparently, she skips the real world entering fiction more than a person can estimate. She jerked away from her mother's arms, screaming "Who do you think you are to finalize MY marriage without MY permission? And how dare you go behind my back?" She was shaking from rage and a vast amount of disappointment. Her eyes burned and yet they never wavered. She had fire in her eyes with almost venom coming out of her tongue. This could wake the whole house but they probably were already prepared for the raging storm. After all, everyone knows that she is going to be wedded off, except for her.