Opportunity

(Don't mind the meme, I felt like putting it there)

ODD world. Famous theme park, though most popular for its mascots.

You had been there multiple times because of family or friend birthday parties, or just there to visit. The place was amazing, after all. The rides were fun, and the mascots, known as the Rainbow Friends, had always interested you.

Though on that day, you were there for your friend's younger sibling's party. Your friend, Erin, had probably convinced him to go for ODD world for his birthday. She was a huge fan of the place, too. But mainly because of the conspiracy theories.

"Hey, did you know that ODD world has had multiple murders take place here?" Erin told you as you two stood next to the tables at the Laser Tag Plaza.

There were party decorations, snacks, and presents on the tables, for Erin's younger brother's party. A bunch of parents and some other people (Relatives of Erin, most likely) were sitting down and talking, while the little kids were running around somewhere in the theme park.

"Wow, fascinating," You said, not very fascinated. Erin was always talking about theories and such, and you liked that about her. But some of these you've heard before.

"Yeah, I know, right? Well, technically they haven't had murders happen, but there was a bunch of missing peoples allegations, and none of them have been found, so that obviously means they were killed..." Erin trailed off, but you weren't paying attention.

Your eyes were focused on one of the robotic mascots walking around, the one they call Blue. He was posing with two kids for a picture, as a parent took the picture.

The robots (or animatronics, or whatever you want to call them) were quite... robotic looking. The gears and other robotic parts were sticking out or showing, which seemed like a safety hazard. They were also square-like, similar to a stereotypical robot.

Once the two kids ran off, you waved to Blue. The robot turned to you, and waved. Man, these things were advanced. Though, they were quite shabby.

"Hey, you listening to me?" Erin asked as Blue walked away.

"Huh?" You turned to Erin. "Oh, yeah, I am." A lie, of course.

Erin smiled. "So, you heard what I said about management and the higher ups?"

"Um, yeah. But could you repeat it again?" You asked, knowing that Erin would obviously repeat it.

Erin nodded. "Of course!! So, basically, employees have said that management has always been secretive and shady, and that the founder and current owner of the place has never shown his face here since the early 1990s. Suspicious, ain't it??" Erin asked, smiling.

You smiled a bit. "Yeah, crazy." You looked away and rolled your eyes a bit, still smiling. That's when something catches your eye.

A sign was taped next to the exit door, with two big words that stood out. "HELP WANTED".

You walked over to the sign and looked at it. Apparently there was a staff shortage, and they were hiring.

You had been unemployed for the last month or two. You were on the verge of getting kicked out of your apartment. This seemed like a good opportunity. Plus, you don't really need any skills to work at a theme park anywho.

"Ooooh! They're hiring!!" Erin said from behind you, making you jump.

"Ack! Jeez, Erin, stop sneaking up on people!" You told her, clenching your chest. She let out her small signature evil laugh.

"Sorry!" She chuckled. "But, seriously, this would be good for you! You practically don't have any money, and your about to get kicked out. Plus, you live this place!!"

"You just want me to get the job to see if their are any secrets here, aren't you?"

"Maaaybe!" Erin responded, grinning. You sighed and laughed a bit.

"I'll think about it." You said, looking back at the sign. You stared at it for a moment, before pulling out your phone and quickly saving the phone number listed onto your phone.

"Kids!! Its time to sing happy birthday!!" Shouted someone from over at the tables. All the kids ran over, including you and Erin.

...

It was 6 PM. You were sitting on your couch in your small apartment, which only consisted of one bathroom, one bedroom, and the kitchen, which was attached to the living room. You had just gotten back from the birthday party, which was pretty fun, except the part when Erin's little brother had eaten too much cake and had thrown up everywhere.

Though the happiness from the party had soon faded once you had gotten home.

You stared at the eviction notice that had been taped to your door. You had a 14-day notice. "Great, just what I needed." You said to yourself, sighing. You barely had enough money for gas or food. How could you possibly pay?? You don't have a job...

You suddenly remembered the help wanted sign at ODD World. It was well-paying, AND it would get you enough money to pay rent. It was perfect.

You picked up your phone and called the number.

To be continued...