Prologue

Outside the window, the rain fell in unyielding sheets, a fierce symphony against the city's hardened concrete. Even though it was mid-December, the rain persisted, as if the world carried a sadness unable to find expression through words. Illuminated by the Christmas tree decorated during their Thanksgiving gathering, vibrant lights flickered and danced across Ka'Mya's face. As Ka'Mya sat in the glow of the Christmas lights, the rain outside seemed to cast a somber spell over the room. Aretha Franklin's cover of Amazing Grace played softly from Pandora on the television, blending with her Mama humming along from the kitchen. The warmth of the room clashed with the cold drumming of the rain against the window, creating a bittersweet harmony.

Lost in her thoughts, Ka'Mya traced the delicate strokes of nail polish on her fingers, the rhythmic motion providing a sense of focus amid the emotional discord outside. She couldn't shake the feeling that the persistent rain mirrored something deeper, a sentiment lingering in the air, unspoken yet real. The Christmas tree, adorned with ornaments that held memories of years past, stood as a beacon of tradition and togetherness. But tonight, beneath its twinkling lights, a subtle tension lingered. The holiday cheer seemed to wrestle with the unspoken weight in the room, a contradiction of celebration and an undercurrent of something unresolved.

With a sigh, Ka'Mya glanced toward the kitchen where her Mama continued to hum the familiar tune. It was a hymn that had always brought solace, but tonight it carried an undertone of yearning as if the melody itself sought answers to questions left unasked.

Seventeen-year-old Ka'Mya, who often characterized her life as one of constant misunderstanding and neglect, abruptly ceased painting her nails at the creak of her parent's bedroom door. The deliberate steps of her Mama rushing to the door ensued, coupled with the swift snatching of the door, reverberated through the otherwise hushed confines of her childhood home. Without even breathing, she found herself suspended in anticipation, waiting to hear what unfolded next.

The subdued tension in the air thickened as Ka'Mya strained to discern the unfolding sounds beyond the bedroom door. She grabbed the remote to lower the volume on the television as Aretha reached the climax of the hymn. The familiarity of the creak of the door and her Mama rushing to attend to the demands that came next hinted at a nightmarish routine she wished she could escape. In the stillness, the muffled murmurs of her parents reached her ears. She felt a knot tighten in her stomach, a blend of fear and helplessness that accompanied the weekly descent into chaos. The atmosphere, charged with the weight of unspoken turmoil, seemed to close in on her.

Ka'Mya's eyes darted to her half-finished nails, forgotten amid the sudden disruption. A chilling realization gripped her as she considered the pattern of her father's behavior, fueled by the poison of alcohol. It was a script she knew all too well– one that unfolded behind closed doors, leaving scars that ran deeper than the surface wounds.

Her breath caught in her throat as the first echo of a raised voice producing slurred words reached her ears, "You ain't worth a damn!" It was her father's voice. The room seemed to shrink around her, the colorful Christmas lights now starkly contrasting the darkness that threatened to engulf her home. The variation between festive decoration and the uneasiness within was stark, a cruel irony that mirrored the duality of her existence. Ka'Mya debated whether to intervene, to become a reluctant witness to the strife that tainted her family. Each week was a painful reminder of the fragility of the sanctuary she had once believed in. Yet, the fear that held her captive kept her rooted in place, grappling with a sense of powerlessness that seemed insurmountable. As the disruption escalated beyond the bedroom door, Ka'Mya's heart pounded in sync with the chaos. The Christmas lights on the tree flickered, casting dancing shadows that mirrored the rage within her. In the silence of the night, she wrestled with the choice to remain hidden or confront the demons that haunted her family's fragile facade.

The crescendo of raised voices reached a gut-wrenching peak, shattering the fragile semblance of normalcy that the Christmas lights desperately clung to. Ka'Mya's internal turmoil matched the external chaos, and the shadows in her heart deepened as the night wore on.

"No, Kevin, please!" The desperate plea, choked with tears, was her mother's voice– a refrain she had heard too many times. Ka'Mya's fist clenched involuntarily, a silent manifestation of her helplessness.

As the confrontation escalated, the air seemed to crackle with tension, and Ka'Mya's instincts wrestled with fear. The realization that this night might mark a tragic departure from the routine shook her core. The sound of struggle followed, punctuated by gasps, glass shattering, and the uneven rhythm of hurried footsteps. The bedroom door swung open, revealing a scene that would forever haunt Ka'Mya's memory. Her mother, battered and bruised, lay crumpled on the floor. A trickle of blood escaped from her nose, a few teeth missing, and her nightgown torn. There was a knife handle sticking out of her back. The once-desperate pleas had yielded to an eerie silence that echoed through the room.

"Mama!"Ka'Mya's cry cut through the quiet, but her mother's vacant gaze as she lay in a puddle of her blood betrayed a truth that lingered in the room like a ghost. Mouth agate, she dropped to her knees. It was the only movement her body would allow to make. Her father was nowhere to be seen.

As Ka'Mya grappled with the harsh reality, a soft voice emerged from the shadows. "Mya?" It was Yari, her sixteen-year-old sister, who had witnessed the nightmare from the shadow of the hallway.

The weight of the moment hung heavy as Yari's wide, green eyes met Mya's tight brown ones, and in that shared gaze, a silent understanding passed between them– a recognition of the painful legacy they were bound to. The sisters, united by blood and tragedy, faced an uncertain future as the echoes of that fateful night reverberated through the once-hallowed halls of their home.

"Mya, we have to call someone!" Yari urged as she rushed to Mama, her voice trembling with a mixture of fear and determination.

Ka' Mya, still in shock on her knees, nodded mechanically. She fumbled for her phone out of the back pocket of her jeans, hands shaking as she dialed 911. The dispatcher's voice on the other end offered a lifeline of sorts, but the weight of their fractured reality pressed on.

"We need an ambulance... and the police. It's my mom. Please hurry!" Ka' Mya managed to choke out the words, her voice breaking with each syllable.

As they waited for help, Yari crouched beside their mother, trying to offer comfort in the face of the unthinkable. "Mama, stay with us. Please. Help is on the way," she whispered, her eyes filling with tears.

A sudden realization struck Ka'Mya. She finally found the strength to get up. She stood just in front of Mama's head– enough to glance into the bedroom. She realized that her father was nowhere to be found and the bedroom window was raised, revealing a chilling possibility. "Yari, he might have left through the window. Do you.... want to check outside?" she questioned, voice dripping with uncertainty. Yari noticed that Ka'Mya's gaze was fixed on the escape route her father might have taken.

Yari nodded, and fear ran across her face. "..but what if he comes back?" she asked, voicing the unspoken fear that loomed over them.

"Well, we can't stay here. We have to be somewhere safe when the police arrive, Ka'Mya replied, her mind racing to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Together, the sisters maneuvered through the shadows of their home, glancing nervously at every corner. Ka'Mya secured the window– kicking aside the aftermath of the struggle as she crossed the room. Simultaneously, Yari hurried to lock both the front and back doors. They reconvened in the living room, where their mother's lifeless form remained visible from where they stood.

As Yari let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding, she stated, "He's gone, Mya. I didn't see him anywhere as I locked the doors."

Relief mingled with sorrow as the sisters faced the grim reality of a fractured family and an uncertain future. The wail of approaching sirens signaled the arrival of help, but the echoes of that fateful night would forever linger on, leaving Ka'Mya and Yari to navigate the aftermath of a tragedy that had shattered their world.