𝟕. ✭ 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐘 ✭

Making sure the Oni mask is secured to my face, checking my Nighthawk before sticking it in the holster inside my suit jack, I give myself the once-fucking-over in the mirror. I look like a fucking demon. But that's fine because, as usual, I feel like the devil himself.

Right as I'm about to grab the metal container stocked with cigarettes out of my jacket pocket I feel my phone buzz. I blow out a breath of frustration because I just wanted to go for a fucking walk. The walls of my room are almost all I've seen since I arrived in California, still waiting on a concrete lead from Evelyn about Polat.

Apparently, The Harvey Watch doesn't do things all willy-nilly. There has to be a set date, time, and place for me to kill that sick mother-fucker. Having to wait to set my rage loose has been maddening.

I grin and whip my mask off when I see it's her calling. Finally, I think to myself as I pick up the call. "Tell me you have a lead so I can unleash hell," my tone drips with malice.

"Firstly, what the hell did you do to Brooks?" I pull the phone away from my ear and look at it with raised brows because what the fuck did she just say? "I asked you a question, Torey."

"I don't know what you're trying to insinuate, Evelyn. I haven't seen Brooks in weeks." It feels like a lot longer than that if I'm honest. Feels like months. I shake my head in irritation trying to rid myself of thoughts of him.

"The Harvey Watch is lucky to have you as a member but Brooks is..." She didn't have to say it. She has a soft spot for the man. I'd seen it when we'd spent time in the New York branch. "Anyway, what did you do to him?"

"I did nothing."

"The three of you had an interesting relationship. Much like your parents' relationship... You, Brooks, and Daniela—"

I growl out, "we're fucking done. I told you I cut all ties and I did. And fuck her."

"And what of Brooks? What is the relationship there?"

Why is she being so goddamn nosy?

I debate chucking my phone away from me at the mention of him. Furious. Furious couldn't even begin to describe how angry I was with him for lying to me. For breaking my trust like that. I'd been fucked with from all over the place but the last person I thought to do me like that was Brooks. It would appear I'm a pretty shit judge of character.

But he said he was trying to protect you... Protect me from myself— fuck that. I don't need protecting. People need protection from me. Maybe even you need protection from you... What the actual hell is my thought process right now? I think being in this room for so long has officially driven me insane.

"Torey, I am only going to ask you one more time." Her words stern, like I was about to get a tongue-lashing and not the kind I prefer.

"Why does it matter?" I shrug to no one but myself.

"Because it matters to me. Brooks is like a son to me and he's, well, let's just say he's making odd decisions." Her genuine concern has about a million warning bells going off in my head.

"The fuck you mean 'odd decisions'?" I roll out my shoulders at the uneasy feeling building between the blades; the stress. "Is he okay? Not that I care." I tack that last piece on quickly, though I know my tone betrayed me.

Fuck... do I still care? You know the answer to that... Shut. Up.

"Not that you care? But you care?" I can hear the eye roll she's doing as she states aloud my internal thought process.