Chapter 3

We end up playing for over two hours until the boy started complaining about how they were tired and their feet hurt from standing so much. I could tell none of them had a passion for baseball the way Benny did. He would play all day, rain or shine, if he could.

The boys warmed up to me after a while. Well...all of them except Squints, but I'm sure he'll come around soon. We all got off to a rough start, me being the only girl there and Scotty not being able to catch...or throw a ball, but it went well.

The afternoon sun shines down on us as we walk home with Benny and Ham, since we all live in the same general area.

I walk between Benny and Scotty as we talk about the most random things until we arrive at Ham's house.

"Bye Ham!" We all call, waving as he walks off.

"Eight o'clock tomorrow Benny?" I ask as we get to our house.

"Yup, don't be late!"

"Bye Benny!" Scotty and I call, waving as we walk to our house.

We barely make it to the sidewalk before Scotty quickly turns around, "Wait Benny! Your glove!" He calls.

The black haired boy turns around, waving him off, "Keep it man!"

Scotty grins and thanks him before running back towards me.

"Wait, Smalls y/n!" Benny says, running back across the street.

"Yeah!?" I ask as he stops in front of us.

"Uh Scotty, bring a t-shirt and jeans tomorrow." He says, scanning Scotty's outfit up and down. "Oh, and do you guys have a fireplace?"

"Yeah...why?" I ask, confused at where he's going with this.

He taps the brim of Scotty's hat. "Throw that in there."

I laugh, "I'll make sure he does."

"Sorry, I was the only one I had." Scotty says awkwardly, looking down.

Benny pulls out a hat from his back pocket, handing it to him. "Not anymore, you can have my old one."

He turns towards me, "You uh...you did good today y/n. I'm impressed." He says, scratching the back of his neck, looking anywhere but at me.

"Thanks Benny, you aren't so bad yourself."

He flashes me a cheeky grin before running off, "I'll see you two tomorrow!"

"Eight o'clock!" We call back before walking back towards our house.

"He totally likes you." Scotty says nonchalantly, waking through the door.

I look at him bewildered, "Scotty we literally just met!"

"So? I doesn't mean the feelings aren't there."

I don't say anything, too taken aback by his statement.

"You didn't deny it." He says after a few seconds, sending me a knowing smile before walking down the hall to his room.

Benny Rodriguez...a love interest?

I was just so glad to have made new friends, I didn't bother looking at them any other way.

I can't be attracted to Benny, he's just a friend. And besides, I just met him! That's way too early for any feelings to start developing.

I shake my head and make my way back to my room to finish unpacking. Even while sorting my clothes and emptying boxes, he still manages to weave himself through my thoughts;

Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez.