Prompt 1 (Mystery) - 01/01/2024

There is an urban legend floating around about a taxi that doesn't take you where you want to go, but rather where you need to go. Write about a character that gets into this taxi. Where do they go and why?

I stumbled from our 10-year high school reunion half-drunk, looking for my ride.

"I think Ryan went home," said a girl named Terri. Shit, I thought to myself. I turned to the road, looking for a taxi to bring me home. A specific taxi caught my attention, slowing and pulling to the curb closest to me before I attempted to call for it. I felt a bit dizzy but was glad to have a ride. The driver rolled down and leaned toward the passenger window as I approached.

"You need a ride, miss?" I nodded and the driver leaned back and opened the backseat door. I got in and buckled up, placing my purse in my lap as the driver started down the busy road. I turned to look out the window, laying my head against it and settling in the comforting feeling of being driven home.

I woke up outside my sister's house and looked at the driver's seat, but he was gone. The car was still on, heat churning through to block out the harsh cold of winter. I realized I couldn't feel my purse in my lap, but upon looking at the backseat next to me, I found a suitcase I hadn't seen or used since I was a kid going on summer road trips with my parents and sister. It appeared to be packed, and my intuition told me it was full of everything I needed. I took the suitcase by the handle and got out of the car, feeling the weight of my purse strap on my shoulder. As I walked up the driveway, the taxi drove off of its own accord.

I knocked on the door once, twice, three times before my sister opened the door, looking sad but face lighting up as soon as she saw me.

"Kayla! I haven't seen you in months!" I released my bag and gave her a bear hug, feeling perfectly sober. We pulled apart to look at each other before I pulled the suitcase inside and sat on the couch. "What inspired this surprise visit?" There was a tinge of concern in Sonia's voice.

"Oh, nothing, I just wanted to see you." I thought it best not to tell her about the mysterious taxi as she would most likely start a fuss and call the police and our parents.

"Come on, I'll show you to the guest bedroom. You can stay as long as you'd like," Sonia said warmly. Looking at the photos in the hallway, I noticed her fiancè was either torn out or simply not in any of them. I thought it best not to ask about it. "Here it is. I'll let you unpack while I figure out what to make for dinner." Sonia left the room, and I set my bags down next to the bed before inspecting the dresser and looking inside each individual drawer. I didn't understand why, but I simply knew I needed to. In the top drawer, there was a letter addressed to Sonia in jagged, messy handwriting. I knew it wasn't a good idea to snoop, but I couldn't help myself. It read:

"Sonia,

I know it's not the best time to do this because you seem to expect me to finish planning for the wedding soon, but I can't hold back anymore. I don't want to can't do this anymore. I want to break up. I hate how you talk about your family every. Single. Day. How you spend every waking moment either with them or wishing you could be with them. You don't spend time with me anymore. You don't take care of yourself. You put no effort into anything except for your parents and Kelly or whatever her name is. I'm not even sure you have a job because you never talk about it. I don't want to marry someone who doesn't give me any thought.

                            Kenneth"

I was shocked at how harshly Kenneth had treated Sonia, as if she had committed a crime. I was even more shocked at how well Sonia seemed to be taking the end of the longest relationship she had ever had. When she was with me, Sonia only ever seemed to talk about Kenneth. He was her world. She had to be heartbroken.

It was then that I realized why I had been brought here. This was where I needed to be. Where I was supposed to be. I left the room and went to the kitchen, where I saw Sonia taking out some pasta from the pantry. I gave her a hug from behind, and I could feel her sink into it subconsciously. Clarity came to my mind like a long-awaited spring, and I realized that it was fate that had led me to my sister. Fate had brought Ryan home early; Fate had driven me here; and Fate had brought me home.