♆ 𝒗. 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏' 𝒐𝒏 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆...𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚

The dark country roads blurred past them as Sally drove

The dark country roads blurred past them as Sally drove. She constantly glanced in the rear view mirror, making sure nothing was following them.

Wind slammed against the Camaro, and rain slashed the windshield. Bronte squinted to try and look five feet in front of them, but saw nothing, but darkness. She was sure Sally couldn't see anything either and just guessed she was going the right way. Her foot never lifted from the gas, flooring it the whole time.

Silence filled the car, no one knowing what to talk about. They all had something occupying their minds, trying to figure out if it was real or not.

"You never called," Bronte said, not looking up from her hands. She fiddled with the rings on her fingers, turning a silver star one.

Bronte knew Percy turned to look at her, glancing down at her rings as well. He sighed, but he didn't say anything.

Cooper turned to look back at them, before turning towards Grover and giving him a glare.

"That's uh, that's my fault, Bonnie," Grover said, making the girl turn to look at him.

She had a solemn look on her face, and he didn't know what to make of it. Grover could only assume that it was nothing good.

She gave him a weak smile, knowing that he was just trying to make up for his friend. Maybe he was telling the truth. Bronte just wished she was there with him when everything went down. Percy seemed to be struggling with something inside his mind, not being able to understand the information he was told.

Flashes of lightning brightened the sky. Bronte waited to hear the thunder, knowing that it was supposed to follow. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

Percy looked across Bronte at Grover during one of the flashes, and his eyes fell on his friend's legs. He thought he had gone insane, but it was real. His friend was part barnyard animal.

"So, you and my mom...know each other?" Percy asked, finally speaking up.

Bronte looked up, also curious to know the answer. She actually wanted to ask Cooper the same thing, knowing that she had never introduced Cooper to her mom. She never even brought his name up.

Grover's eyes fluttered to the front seat, glancing between Sally and Cooper. "Not exactly," he said. "I mean, we've never met in person, but she knew I was watching you."

Bronte looked at Cooper. He looked back at her, giving her a subtle nod as to agree with Grover.

"Watching me?" Percy asked, furrowing his brows.

"Keeping tabs on you. Making sure you were okay. But I wasn't faking being your friend," he added hastily. "I am your friend."

"Um...what are you exactly?"

"That doesn't matter right now," Grover retorted.

"So, what, we were just a charity case?" Bronte interrupted, throwing her hands in the air.