02

Yuji ran off to the path that led to your home, stopping mid way as he spotted you kicking away stones on the sidewalk, with your head hung low. He bit his lip, frowning slightly before he called out your name.

"Y/N! Behind you!"

Your head perked up upon hearing his voice, as you immediately turned around, seeing your beloved in front of you.

You stood there silently, not knowing what to say.

Nobara and Megumi watched quietly from a distance, hiding behind a lamp post.

With an apologetic look on his face, as well as a slight blush on his cheeks, Yuji approached you. You bit your cheek as you felt your heartbeat getting faster. The embarrassment you felt from earlier came back. "Yuji, I-" "I'm sorry, Y/N..."

"Huh?" Your eyebrows furrowed at his words. Why was he apologizing?

He looked at you, scratching his nape awkwardly as he struggled to make eye contact. "You know.. you confessed to me earlier but I didn't even realize it, and made you feel sad, I'm so sorry for that.."

Yuji held your hand. "But please, know that I didn't do it on purpose! I had no intention of hurting you. I respect your feelings and-"

"Hey, it's okay," you sighed, before smiling at the boy.

"Besides, I kind of expected that.."

Upon hearing your words, Yuji frowned a little. He let go of your hand and cleared his throat, gathering up the confidence to say something.

"So, Y/N, I.. I respect your feelings, okay? And.."

You bit your lip. You know where this was going.

"I'm really grateful that you hold me in such high regards, and that you care for me so much, but," His eyes looked down at the ground, voice getting quieter, almost like a mumble, "ever since the passing of my grandfather, and all those events that followed after, I haven't really been doing well emotionally. I'm really uncertain and confused about a lot of things."

"All that happened really took a toll on me, so please.. I need some time to sort out my feelings for you, Y/N. Please don't get me wrong."

Yuji let out a small chuckle. "I'm not rejecting you, okay? Don't be sad! It's just.. I need some time, yeah.." His fingers played with the strings on his hoodie, twisting them, while his eyes wandered around.

"I want to be in a better place emotionally and mentally before I decide what to do next. I think I want to sort out my feelings properly, so that's why.."

"But if you think otherwise, that's fine too!" Yuji's voice became slightly louder, as he gave you a thumbs up. "If you want, you could see someone els-"

You disagreed.

"I'll wait for you, Yuji."

Of course you'll wait. I mean, he didn't really reject you, did he? He asked for time. He wants some time to heal himself before taking a step further. Who knows, he might even be considering to make you his girlfriend?

Before your own thoughts drifted you off to a delusion, you shook your head slightly, smiling at him nervously. "Take as much time as you need, okay? I'm here for you."

I can wait. As long as you'd want me to.. because I always have, all this time.

While the two of you exchanged a quite personal and sentimental conversation, your two other friends eavesdropped from behind the lamp post, listening to the both of you very carefully. Nobara's hand found it's way to her mouth in surprise. "No way! No way Yuji actually said all that," she turned to look at Megumi, "wasn't he sounding a bit too mature for his usual self?"

Megumi gave her a blank stare. "Atleast he didn't bluff some dumb shit," he muttered while running his fingers through his hair, letting out a sigh of relief, "I'm glad with the choice he's made."

"He does need time for himself. He'll never show it though, but, you know?"

He shrugged, taking his phone out and scrolling through it. Nobara, on the other hand, looked at you, who seemed relieved. Better than before.

She hoped, though, that things won't get awkward between you two. It's easy to say, but nobody knows how it's gonna be like for the two of you, for a few weeks from now.

You were bidding goodbye to your friend, before walking away from the area, heading home. Watching you happily skip down the street made Yuji laugh to himself.

I'm glad she's not upset.

He made his way to his own home, stopping in his tracks when he spotted his two friends at the corner of the street.

"Fushiguro? Nobara? What are you guys doing here?" asked Yuji in complete oblivion.

To which, Megumi didn't reply. Nobara huffed, trying to hide her surprise.

"We.. we were searching for you, you know! You ran away without a proper word."

Yuji's eyes widened. "Oh! Right.." He smiled, looking at his hands. "I met up with Y/N. I told her I needed some time. She agreed. I'm really glad that she's not upset. I hope our friendship doesn't get faltered."

When he didn't get a response from the other two, he tilted his head in confusion. "Huh?"

"Aren't you two shocked?" Yuji pointed at himself, laughing awkwardly, "or did you expect that from me? What happened?"

Megumi and Nobara exchanged glances, before replying at the same time, "Nothing."

The three of them walked home together, Nobara and Yuji bickering as usual while Megumi quietly tagged along, busy on the phone. While you peacefully returned home, and sat in the comfort of your room, relieved.

Relieved that you finally took something off your chest. That you finally told him you felt.

And that it ended well, with an anticipation of something better to come. Your heart hoped for the best.