-eh1. chapter 3-

All I could do was ponder and let my fingers slide over the tiles of my grandfathers old piano. I've done so much for this family. I expressed my gratitude, my love, everything. I suppose it was not enough. Then again, could it ever be enough? Grandfather would be turning in his grave if he heard that his darling granddaughter had to give up her dreams because his poorly chosen match for his son told her to.

I accidentally play the wrong chord and automatically throw my face in my hands. I hear a knock at the door.

"¿Y/n? ¿Estás bien? Soy yo, tu padre."

The deep Spanish voice made something drop inside my body. I don't want to speak to anyone, I might as well throw myself out the window!

"Go away, papa... por favor..."

"Darling..." I felt his hand on my shoulder, followed by the weight of his body next to mine. His voice was low and almost like a whisper. "Look at me. Por favor? We need to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about, is there?" I snapped back. I had no choice either way. There was nothing to be done.

He tilted my chin up to look at him. "Yes there is... I'm sorry... I have tried to change her mind-"

"Have you? Have you really?" I spoke, my voice so close to breaking. Don't be weak Y/n. Don't.

"Sí... I have. You know your mother, Y/n. Don't you? I know there was nothing to be done... but I have done something."

"What's that, then?"

"Your mother... she had her eye on someone. A silly boy. I knew he would be no good... I convinced her to pick someone else. The son of a friend of mine... he is a Viscount too... Tewkesbury."

Oh you have to be kidding...

"Is he as stupid as his name?" I asked, with a (not so) small hint of irony. He chuckled at that.

"No... in fact, he's quite intelligent. I know you two are compatible. You met him once, but you were both only two years old..."

That last phrase gave me the smallest amount of hope. That was enough, though. "He is my age?"

Father nodded. "Sí... I made sure of that."

I smiled slightly, not that much. This still wasn't what I wanted for myself, but given the fact that he was my age, not even older, was making my future already appear a bit brighter. I lowered my head onto fathers shoulder.

"Cansada? Tired?"

"No... I mean... it's a lot to take in... thanks for looking out for me... Te quiero papa."

"I love you more than anything, mi hija..."