Chapter 1: Lexinthus Village

Upstream of the River Somnus, a modest farming village, home to only a dozen or two families. Small cottages scatter a daisy filled field, a light breeze flows over the thatched roofs. A sweet aroma of bread flows through the village in the wind. Bakeries filled to the brim with loaves of bread, cakes and sweet treats rest on the occasional corner; any child's paradise. Following the quiet streets, a market square was the centre of the village, stalls of foods, trinkets and potions litter the cracked cobblestone square. Running through the heart of the village, the beginning of a river. Downstream, threads of water shoot into channels surrounding endless fields of wheat and livestock. Among the fields, a small stable stood empty, hay scattered in a small stall with the door agape. Against a wall, three wooden bowls rested, one filled with water, the others licked clean. Galloping through the ewe field, a blond haired woman on a brown stallion with two shepherds.

The woman sat tall, giving little whistles to direct the two wagging tails towards the ewe's. Her long blond hair pulled back into a bun, keeping it clear of her soft, fair skinned face, bright, evergreen eyes fixed on the sheep; fleeing from the pattering paws pursuing them, directing them through a small, worn, wooden gate. A sharp whistle pierces the air, the two dogs lay on the grassy field, tails wagging excitedly, as the gate is closed. A small smile is plastered on the woman's soft face as she walks over two the two dogs and pats them on the head, then pulls out a small treat for the two of them, a piece of chicken. The woman then jumps onto the chocolate horse's back and rides back to the stable. Once back, the hay gets swept into a pile and given to the horse, whose name is Minstrel. Inside the once empty bowls, there is minced beef and carrots; quickly eaten by the two dogs, Marley and Eve. The girl's blond hair is set free and rushes down to rest around her mid-back.

Beginning to dip behind the horizon, the sun leaves bright magenta stripes over the normal sky blue. The girl walks up the calm riverbank towards the sweet smelling village, over the small wooden bridge and into the village square. The hustle and bustle of people packing up market stalls while trying to bargain the last of their goods flutters in the air as the blond-haired woman walks through. Someone spots the young woman and two dogs, their eyes light up.
"Riki, dear. Where have you been all day? You agreed to take it easy before the winter harvest."

"Mabel, I needed to round up the sheep. The acrobats jumped over the fence again... I really need to fix that fence..."

Mabel looks mortified as the young woman, Riki, rambles on about all the tasks that she needs to complete: fixing the sheep's fence, repairing a neighbours leaky roof, gathering firewood before the snow blows in, on and on and on... Meanwhile, Marley and Eve are prancing around after each other, until a sharp whistle calls them back.

"I better get going, it will be dark soon."

After their goodbyes had been said, Riki walkes back to her little thatch-roofed house. Her eyes gazed up at the clear sky, not a cloud can be seen, but the sky was unusually white. A small sigh escapes her cracking lips as she wraps her arms around her shoulders. At the end of the path, a small, cosy house stands. She opens the door, which creaks slightly, and lights a candle that rests on a small table by the doorway. Walking through the small kitchen to a bedroom, which could barely be classed as a room as there was no wall to separate them, she sits in front of a fireplace, and begins to pile in paper dollies and dried logs to heat the small, draughty room. Marley and Eve settle on a small blanket beside the now burning fire. Riki walks to get a small, cast-iron pot that is filled with water and places it on a rack that hangs above the roaring fire. She then settles down into a small bed opposite the fire, and takes a small, worn, leatherback book from the table and opens it.

After around an hour, the quiet snores of Eve and Marley fill the small house and Riki is sat in front of the fire, a cup of herbal tea in one hand and the leather book in the other. The house remains quiet, excluding the subtle snores of the dogs and crackles from the fire, with the occasional ember flying out then quickly dying out on the chipped tiles surrounding the fire. Eventually, Riki snaps the book shut and settles into the bed.

A warm, bright ray of sunlight breaks through the miniscule holes in the thatch roof. Marley and Eve pounce on Niki, stirring her from her sleep. Despite the jumping, Niki remains asleep.

BARK!

Niki jumps from the small bed, and is greeted with loads of kisses. A smile creeps its way onto her face as she tries to escape the two of them. After freeing herself from the two over-excited sheepdogs, Niki sleepily walks to the front door and walks out into the fresh, cool morning air. The village is just as busy as the day before, people setting up their market stalls, selling the usual things: baked goods, jewellery, clothes and shoes.

Suddenly, a group of the palace knights rush into the village square with disregard for the young children and dogs running around. Riki pulls a young boy out of the way of a knight's armoured horse.

"Run along, stay out of trouble."

Niki tells the young boy as he nods, running behind a baby market stall. One of the knights begins to speak to the village people.

"The monarchy has been assassinated by an unknown group of people, all known members of the royal family are gone. The kingdom of Lumina now has no ruler..."
As the knight is speaking, people in the village usher their children inside, trying not to make them panic.

"We are at risk of being attacked by other neighbouring kingdoms. If anyone is aware of who the assassins may be you are hereby ordered to report to the castle immediately."

Panic, worry and fear spread through the small village. Ruthlessly, the knights begin to integrate everyone, trying to fish for information in a stagnant pond. Riki manages to flee the imposing questioning and walks down the riverbank, followed closely by Marley and Eve.

In the wheat field, a group of farmers work tirelessly to harvest the crop before the inevitable winter frost grips the village. Among them is Riki, who is wielding a scythe, cutting the crop from the ground to be collected and thrashed for the grain. There is little silence, everyone is discussing the news of the death of the monarchy, if the kingdom will be safe or if it will be invaded by the neighbouring countries, like Silvercrest, Eldoria and Havenmoor. Riki remains distant, focusing on cutting the crop, as she is preparing to go to the capital, Aurorium, for the winter as she normally does. The short day is spent harvesting the crops from the fields until the sun begins to dip behind the horizon. Small snowflakes dance through the air as Riki walks back to her small house.

As usual, she lights the fireplace with dollies and firewood, places a pot of water over the fire and gives Marley and Eve a bowl full of chicken scraps. Unlike usual, she begins to gather her important belongings, but something unrecognised to Riki is sat atop of her winter fleece. A dark scroll, wrapped in a gold clasp which is holding it closed. Rather than investigating the scroll, she pushes it and what is underneath, back to where it was originally.

Ray here!

I just finished writing this chapter, but the illustrations are VERY behind, so I'm going to update the story as they are finished. 

Thanks for reading!

Ello ello, Ckai here!

The illustrations have fallen behind quite a bit... as in Ray finished writing and didn't say illustrations needed to be done ASAP. They will be done soon and eventually added.

Thanks :)

ALSO:

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE TWO OF US <3