Chapter 4

Asher Hughes was a man with a past. He didn't like bringing up the past in any situation. He had a past he didn't want to discuss. He'd give anything to turn things back the way it should be, but he knew well enough that it was not something that was possible. He wasn't a per say emotionally unavailable or cold person generally, but during working hours he preferred to be strictly professional which included not involving any unwanted emotions to get in the way of working. He couldn't accept emotions in work, otherwise every minute someone would show up making an excuse for not doing their work and trying to emotionally manipulate him. People at work tend to be thinking as if he lacked in the department of emotions. He'd agree that he wasn't the most jolly person outside work but at least he was likable, that was more than enough. Wasn't it?

The LFG or Asher was not really interested in investing in the entertainment industry when one day a strong headed woman stood determined in the reception to meet the President, pretty much like today. The woman was the then chairperson of The Dream Entertainment. When she stood there for over six hours Asher had asked his P.A. to bring her over. He was really taken aback when he saw the very familiar woman in front of him. Raina Watson was equally shocked to find him there. But both of them were professionals meeting in a professional setting, both of them greeted and talked as if they met for the first time. None of them talked about the string or the person that joined them before.

I missed her calling me Ash.

There was much more than what he missed about them. He missed the bond he had with her, the mother-son like bond or their bickering or how her eyes softened and her voice melted when she called him 'Ash'. But more than that he missed his bond with his girl.

"Feeling better?" Asher questioned the woman who was eating a hamburger like her life depended on it. Well, it kind of did. She lost consciousness because she didn't have any food since morning and with so much stress...the result was inevitable.

It seems you haven't changed a lot.

Alora wasn't in the situation to answer. First because her mouth was full of food, and second, she was too embarrassed and hungry and for her food made to the top of her priority list. She just gave him a curt nod as her answer.

Asher rubbed his forehead while sipping his coffee. Alora was so busy with her food that she failed to notice that she had an Americano rather than regular milk coffee. She smiled sweetly at Mitchell, "Thank you for bringing an Americano. I am lactose intolerant."

Mitchell visibly shivered at her smile, "Mr. Hughes informed me."

Alora was about to take a bite from her burger but her hand froze in the air. She scowled and looked towards Asher, "How do you know I am lactose intolerant?"

Asher glared at his personal assistant who shrugged.

He is taking revenge on me for yelling at him!

Asher cleared his throat while maintaining his calm. "Ms. Watson, we still have a lot to discuss. So if you'll hurry..."

Alora knew he was trying to divert her from the topic and she was helpless. She didn't want any trouble with further questions. The man had finally seemed to soften a bit.

Alora sat uncomfortably with her hands folded neatly on her lap. She felt anxious as two intimidating men looked at her with interest.

"I am sorry..." Alora apologized though she knew it was partly her mistake, it was their mistake to keep her waiting this long. Still she apologized out of courtesy.

None of the men reacted.

"Now. Ms. Watson. If we are done with all the unnecessary formalities...can we start the real conversation." Asher looked bored and uninterested all of a sudden.