9

Normally, Luffy would be reluctant to take a shower and only do it once a week, but today, he had taken the longest shower he's had in a while.

His lanky frame was hunched over as he stood underneath the showerhead, letting the water drench his body.

For a second, it felt to him as if the narrow stream was washing away more than the dirt and grime on the young man's body, but his pain and fatigue as well.

He remained there, allowing his skin to be absorbed in the warmth, comparing the heat of the water to a gentle embrace, or the crackling fire that he had seen before, in his nostalgic dream.

The longer he was standing there, the further away he drifted from reality.

"He was... There. I think I have to stop staring at that photo for so long. Yeah. Maybe that's best."

Luffy told himself, deciding it was unhealthy to keep the article around him for an extended period of time, just to stare at Ace for hours to no end.

In his mind, he knew that by doing this, he wouldn't feel so down all of the time.

But in his heart, he sensed that putting the article away meant that he would also be hiding the only photo he had of Ace; leaving it behind and forgotten for an uncertain amount of time.

"No. I don't want to avoid you. You were... My brother. If I start avoiding you....."

The Captain's heart began to sink, from the build-up of tears that he refused to cry out, as a symbol of maintaining his peace and sanity.

But doing this constantly throughout the day and especially at night, would only take a toll on Luffy's body, and one of the symptoms were already starting to physically appear on him, from the moment he stepped out of the shower and stared into his foggy bathroom mirror.

Wiping away the fog that was lingering on the mirror sink, the Captain swept his hair back, reacting to a shadowy set of dark circles tucked underneath his eyes.

Reaching to touch them, the brunette sighed deeply, feeling disappointed in how much his appearance had deteriorated over the course of a few days.

He found it difficult to believe that the person he was staring back at was his own true self, in the reflection in front of him.

He hated it.

This wasn't the version Luffy wanted to be of himself, he craved freedom and adventure, from the joyful rhythm of his beating heart.

He couldn't recall the last time that he and his crewmates set foot on an Island.

Distracted by the thought of exploring around a new, undiscovered island with his friends, Luffy walked back into his bedroom with a towel wrapped securely around his waist.

Piecing together a new outfit, the Captain decided to wear a light orange t-shirt with a simple graphic design, a pair of loosely fitted black jeans, combined with the flip flops he wears on a daily basis, and a red jacket.

"Guys!! I found an Island, a few miles ahead of where we are right now."

As he was walking towards the living room with an orange in his hand that he took from the kitchen, the boy heard Nami's voice echo throughout the Sunny.

"Oi! Did you find a new island, Nami?" He asked, wearing a bright smile on his face.

"Oh, Luffy? It's rare to see you around nowadays."

The orange haired girl playfully pinched Luffy's nose in between her fingers, earning another smile from him in return.

"My log pose is pointing at an Island called "Viveride." Luffy could from the way Nami was talking, she felt relieved to see him.

That made him wonder when he started to act so distant towards his friends in the first place, let alone, why.

"V-vivre?" He suddenly asked, remembering the last vivre card he held in his hand, at Marine Ford.

"No no, "vive", Luffy. Viveride is apparently an Island best known for a huge variation of cars. Specifically antique cars."

Nami mentioned, giving every Straw Hat member a glimpse of what to expect before arriving at their next location.

For some Straw Hats, like Franky and Brook- who were into things related to cars and motorcycles- They couldn't wait another second to make it to Viveride.

"We should be there soon, so I'll keep you guys updated until then."

The Navigator spoke once more, taking in the gentle breeze that the waves stirred up inside of the Ocean.

It took them no time to make it to the Island, and Luffy's first impression of it was to target his eyes at a peculiar looking automobile.

"WHAT THE HECK IS THAAAAAAT!??"

He questioned, hopping down from the Sunny with excitement, putting his disruptive thoughts at ease.

"Woah! If I had to guess, I'd say that's a limousine, but a very strange one. It's longer than any vehicle I've ever seen." Nami replied.

"Almost as long as the Sunny." Sanji commented, taking a look around the alluring Island.

"YO!!! This feels like a never-ending auto show. I'm in heaven right now, you guys!"

Franky sniffled, enchanted by the beauty of the many antique and rare automobiles all around the island.

Some had large wheels, others had a glossy coating around them that made their color glisten in the daylight.

Some made a loud ruckus with their turbo exhaust mufflers, others were serene enough to pass off as ships, as they didn't make any noise at all.

"What... Is this place?"

Usopp asked himself, staring at the many rare vehicles surrounding the island.

"Heaven! Just like your buddy said before!"

A tiny voice responded to him, leaving the man to wonder where the voice was coming from in the first place.

"Eh? Huh? Who said that??" He asked, turning his head every which way.

"Over here, mister!!"

The Sniper lowered his head down to find a little girl with hair as curly and as brown as his own, wearing a soft Summer dress, given the climate change within the Island.

It was always hot and sunny in Viveride.

"I'm Grumpy! What's your name?"

"Grumpy? That's your name!?"

Luffy questioned with a brighter smile, walking over to introduce himself to the shorter girl.

"W-well actually, that isn't my real name... It's a nickname that someone gave me. I never liked my real name."

"I see. I'm Monkey D. Luffy! I'm gonna be the King of Pirates!! Nice to meet cha'!"

Heads from all around turned over to Luffy, the second he introduced himself to the mysterious girl named Grumpy.

"Y-you... You and my grandpa share the same dream."

~~~