Act II - "Home Sweet Home"

The house felt more like a prison than a home

The car odour was incredibly repulsive. From the moment she sat down, the smell of the driver's intense yet inexpensive cologne, the burning smell of cigarettes which had probably been caused by months—no, years, of repeated indoor smoking, and that ear-bleeding, god-awful heavy metal blasting from the speakers.

Someone hear my prayers and turn off this man's shitty playlist, I beg of you.

As if someone had truly heard her pleas, the driver himself turns down the music. "We're here," he says. "Get out please."

Thank. Fucking. God.

In an instant, Sana grabs the car handle and swings open the vehicle, harshly slamming the door behind her. She quickly inhales and exhales, attempting to cleanse her lungs of the nauseous air she had been breathing in.

The driver angrily rolls down his window and shouts; "Hey, gently! This isn't your damn car, woman!".

Sana responds with a dismissive look whilst the driver huffs and rolls his eyes. As he starts to drive off, Sana hears him mutter the words "fucking whore", before blasting his music once again and driving out of view.

You drive a shitty, white, rusting, nearly broken Camry. What the hell are you so worried about?

Frankly, she couldn't care less about being called a "fucking whore". It was such an unoriginal insult.

I mean, seriously? Can't these dumb men be at least slightly creative when insulting women?

She takes a deep breath.

The neighbourhood had never seemed so empty. Even though it wasn't a particularly busy street in the daytime either, it was so much quieter now that most people were asleep. The only way to navigate amidst her pitch-black surroundings was the dim streetlights which littered the sidewalks—and a glow coming from inside the very house she was standing in front of.

Hesitantly, she knocks on the door.

*knock knock knock knock*

She waited: nothing. As she was going to knock again, the door swung open.

"Who the fuck is—"

A large man stood at the entrance of the door, very clearly angry at the sound of her knocking.

"It's you!?" The man exclaims.