Prologue

Jonah Mark had beautiful wife and a thriving, cutting edge business late in the twentieth century.  When they have their required physicals when they seek to adopt a child, he is terminally ill.  He grabs at anythng that might extend his life. Cryonics promises him the chance to live in a hundred years or so.

But Jonah will find that things are just not what they ought to be.

I SET THE STORY IN OWENSBORO, KY, WHERE I GREW UP.

NO OFFENSE IS INTENDED TO ANY OF ITS RESIDENTS. 

 PROLOGUE

“Dr. Freund unplugged him a few minutes ago,” said Nurse James.

   He placed the chart back in the rack and pulled out the book Is Humanity Really Necessary?  Nurse Quill didn’t comment.  She continued to watch the patient’s vital signs on the monitor until the very end.  Experience told her that he had but moments to live.

   Nurse James said, “They’ll ship him to California, where they have advanced facilities.”

   Nurse Quill interrupted his soliloquy, “Get Dr. Freund, Special Unit.  Now!”

   Dr. Freund wasted no time.  Michelle Mark was right behind him.  It was against hospital rules, but they had made her presence an exception.  This was something so new, there was no set precedence.  Dr. Freund checked the patient and then spoke in low tones, “He is conscious and somewhat coherent.  You may stay until your husband’s final moments.  I have the crew standing by.”

   “Thank you, doctor,” Michelle said in appreciation.

   She then learned over the bed and took her husband’s hand.  She brushed back his hair the way she always did to comfort him.  She kissed his cheek and smiled through suppressed tears.

   “Please have faith, Jonah,” she said, trying to assure him.

   “You have always been the one with faith.  It’s got to be enough for both of us.  One way or another, we are no longer together.  Michelle, you have been my whole life.  Even if I don’t last another minute, it would be enough that we have been together.  I love you so much.  Maybe my love will last beyond my death.”

   She learned over, squeezing his hand with even more confidence, and said, "I love you, Jonah, more than you can know.  I will always be there for you.”

   She uttered a low prayer as Jonah slipped into final unconsciousness.  Dr. Freund called his crew to prepare Jonah for frozen shipment.

   Dr. Freund managed a rare expression of sympathy. "You may stay a few minutes after the freezing has begun.  Our company has the best technology even if still largely experimental.  Then you have made other long-term investments in the event that someone resuscitates Jonah in the distant future.”

   “Yes, doctor,” I have invested nearly everything he has available in a trust.  He’ll have more than enough if he comes back in a hundred years or so.”  Michelle wiped away a tear. “You know, he’s trying to save himself, but he needs more from life than more years on earth—even a thousand years more.  He’s going to have it harder than he thinks.”  She looked up.  “He’s all yours, doctor.”

   It’s up to science now.  You have already done all you can do for him.  You can’t do any more by yourself.”

   Michelle Mark looked at the technicians, who were already busy preparing Jonah.  Then she turned back to Dr. Freud and asked, “Have I really?”