Chapter Nine

(AN: In this scene, Toya is 7, and you're 6.)

"It's nice to finally meet you, Y/N!" Toya's mother hugged me tightly. "You're so pretty!" She whispered, "Toya won't stop talking about you."

"Mom!" Toya blushed.

"Do you want to join us for dinner?" Toya's mother asked. "I would love to!" I said with a smile.

A knock on the door woke me up. "Mommy! Wake up or you'll be late!" Yuki yelled.

"Fuck," I groaned. "I seriously need to stop having dreams about him."

● ● ●

Days passed, and every time Toya sent a message, I would ignore it. Yuki was now back in school, and I was back at work.

As I was working, Mei and I were both called for a quick meeting. I thought that we were in trouble. Mei, on the other hand, was optimistic, thinking we were getting a raise.

"We received a request from a school. They're asking for a doctor and a nurse to educate students about hospitals and patient care. You both are close and have outstanding teamwork; we were wondering if both of you could take on this responsibility." Mei and I exchanged glances.

"Sure!" As I responded, Mei shot a glance at me. "If I can't take care of myself," she began, "what makes you think I can take care of the kids?" I chuckled, rolling my eyes at Mei. "You're still doing it." Mei looked annoyed, but I didn't mind teaching kids about the hospital or treating patients.

I cleared my throat and asked, "When is it?"

"You both will be starting tomorrow." Mei and I nodded, bowing before leaving.

● ● ●

Mei and I were let out of work early, so we decided to walk to the nearest cafe.

Mei wouldn't stop asking about "Kenji," so I made up a fake story, telling her that "he cheated on me," and she ended up believing me.

"Let me meet Kenji, and then I can go punch the shit out of him for cheating on you," Mei said, throwing punches in the air.

Right...I lied to Mei because she was so eager to meet "Kenji." I told her that I walked in on him cheating on me yesterday. "Don't worry, I slapped him, so you don't need to punch him," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

As we headed out of the cafe, I had a feeling that someone was watching me. When I turned around, I didn't see anyone. I shook it off, ignoring the feeling.

● ● ●

"Let's go out and drink," Mei said, tugging at my arm. "I'm not leaving Yuki alone, Mei. Besides, we have that teaching job tomorrow, so we need to make a good impression on the students," I replied. Mei groaned loudly, taking a small sip of whiskey. "That's enough drinking; you have to drive back home." I grabbed the whiskey bottle and put it away. "You should start heading home; it's getting late." Mei rolled her eyes. "Okay, mom. I'll see you tomorrow!" Mei got up, grabbed her jacket, and left.

I went upstairs to my room. As I entered, a chilly breeze hit my body, sending shivers down my spine. My gaze shifted to the wide, open window. "Shit, did I forget to close my window?" As I closed my window, that familiar feeling crept over me—the feeling of being watched. I looked around, but there was no sign of anyone. I securely locked my window and drew the curtains closed.

● ● ●

"Hello, my name is Y/N L/N, and I'm a doctor at Central Hospital," I said, bowing. "My name is Mei Mori, and I'm a nurse at Central Hospital," Mei said, bowing.