4

•Elysian Monroe•

          I felt a gentle touch on my arm, stirring me from my slumber. With a soft sigh, I turned over, fully aware of who was behind the interruption. I kept my eyes closed, wishing for the comforting embrace of sleep to envelop me once more.

"Lysian, I know you're awake," she chirped with a giggle.

Attempting to ignore her, I buried my face in the pillow. It only took a moment before realization hit me—I wasn't going to get any more sleep. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and turned to face the source of the disruption.

"What's the deal, Eil? Why are you here?" I mumbled, stifling a yawn.

"I figured I'd wake you up early since you take longer when it rains," she declared matter-of-factly.

"I don't even have to go to the office today. Just go, I'm exhausted," I grumbled in reply.

With that, I rolled onto my side and threw the blanket over my head. Morning hours were just too early for either of us to be awake. Moments later, she yanked the cover off me.

"I still need to get to school," she retorted, crossing her arms.

"Then take the bus," I suggested, trying to stifle my impatience.

"Right, a 14-year-old in a school uniform standing at the bus stop in this downpour. Sounds like a solid plan!" she shrugged, feigning indifference.

She turned to leave my room, and I did my best to close my eyes again. However, I soon heard the faint sounds of her footsteps followed by the door clicking shut. With a resigned groan, I finally got up.

I stumbled down the stairs, grabbed my keys, and slipped on some slides. Rushing through grabbing a jacket, I threw it on and stepped outside, locking the door behind me.

I jogged to my car and hopped inside, starting the engine. Turning my head to the left, I noticed Eileen hadn't ventured too far; she was still in sight. I backed out of the driveway and slowly drove toward her. As I approached, I rolled down the window.

"Get in the car, Eileen," I instructed, trying to sound authoritative.

She turned, her face lighting up with a smile that made me question my decision to wake up at all. I pulled over, and she hopped in.

"Why didn't you grab the umbrella? Now my seats are soaked," I grumbled.

"That's what you get for letting me leave your cozy room!" Her smile widened, clearly enjoying my annoyance.

I rolled my eyes and pulled back onto the road. The journey to her school was only 15 minutes, but each second seemed to drag on endlessly in the morning haze.

"So, how'd you sleep?" she asked, her voice intruding yet again.

I responded with a low hum, hoping my silence would convey my disinterest in small talk during this torturous drive.

"A conversation can only happen with two people participating, you know," she quipped.

"Silence is also participation—specifically, the choice not to participate," I shot back, a smirk forming on my lips.

She rolled her eyes and turned her head towards the window. I was happy to know her attempt at conversation has been put to an end. It's too early in the morning for conversation.

Plus, she's talked enough. Before long, I pulled into the parking lot of her school, stopping the car just where I was supposed to. Eileen always got uncomfortable when I parked; she didn't like the idea of attracting attention with an older sister like me.