EIGHT HOURS BEFORE - 19:00

"Hey, Gray, come here," Fox called as soon as Cash walked back into the room.

"What?" he asked, walking over.

"Oh, I just wanted to see what your weekend plans were," Fox said casually.

Cash stopped in place and asked confusedly, "Seriously?"

"No, not seriously. I couldn't care less about your weekend plans. I have an ID on our second Jane Doe," Fox told him.

As Cash walked over to Fox's desk, he said to him, "You know, one of these days, you're gonna be a smartass and it's gonna get your ass kicked. And I, for one, am looking forward to that day and I'll bring popcorn; that is, if I'm not the one kicking your ass, which, let's be honest, is a very likely scenario."

"That's so weird. I was just called a smartass earlier today," Fox told him, ignoring most of what Cash had said.

"That doesn't surprise me at all. I am surprised when you aren't called worse things than that everyday though," Cash said.

"Well, you clearly woke up on the wrong side of the bed," Fox huffed.

"I guess you have that effect on people, Hart. Now do you actually have an ID or were you just trying to find a way to get me to come over here?" Cash asked.

"Maybe both," Fox said indifferently, zoning back into the case. "Look at this." He turned his monitor in Cash's direction. "Meet Madisyn Cameron, seventeen years old. She was a junior in high school before..." Cash looked at Fox patiently as the latter trailed off. "...Well, you know," he finished slowly. Cash nodded.

"Did you notify her parents yet?" Cash asked.

Fox's eyes widened slightly, despite himself, at that question. "Me?" he asked.

Realization dawned on Cash, and he asked, raising an eyebrow, "Have you never notified a family before?"

Fox slowly shook his head. "Today was the first time I've actually witnessed that kind of thing in person." Suddenly, Fox's reaction during the first family's notification made a lot more sense to Cash.

"How young are you?" Cash asked. After becoming partners just nine months ago, he knew by now Fox was at least a few years younger than him and that he had only recently made detective, but he just now realized he didn't know exactly how young he actually was. He looked about a decade younger than himself in Cash's opinion, but he'd just assumed the kid had a baby face.

"I'll be twenty-six in February," Fox answered quietly, sounding a bit embarrassed.

"And no one's ever had you—?" he cut himself off after seeing Fox shake his head 'no'. He nodded slowly. "Okay," he said before clearing his throat. "Look...you watched me earlier. I want you to do it this time, but I'll go with you." Fox nodded and turned back to the computer to find the address. He paused and looked back up as Cash added, "Fox, you have to know how to do this."

Fox nodded as he said back, "Okay."

*****

Half an hour later, Fox had given Cash the address and they were in the car, driving to Naperville, where Madisyn Cameron's mother lived.

"Well, you're uncharacteristically quiet," Cash noted.

Fox just nodded, clearly preoccupied with his thoughts.

"I'm not saying I mind it," Cash continued. "I much prefer this over your rambling."

Fox just nodded again, absently.

After a few more minutes of silence, Cash pulled the car over and looked at Fox, who didn't seem to notice the car had even stopped.

"Okay, sunshine. Talk to me," Cash said.