Chapter 5

I had no idea how much time passed after his statement reached my ears. Many had been the thoughts regarding what was going to happen to me after being summoned- but not a single one had been even remotely associated to this.

That was when I decided that the man was out of his mind.

I tried keeping my voice as stern as possible. Pinning the Head of Division with my gaze. He didn't waver, not once as he kept his chin raised, eyes staring right into mine. If he wasn't disgusted by the colours I held in my blood then he was excellent at keeping his emotions in check.

"Respectfully, sir. I must decline," this conversation had to end as soon as possible. Nothing good would have come out it.

The head shifted on his seat before standing up, taking place in front of the window with his back to me.

"I did not know the fall caused you lose a couple of braincells. The report failed to mention that."

"Will all due respect, sir. I am not cut for the Vanguard." I could see the gears turn inside his head. "I'm afraid I've already lowered the prestige of the Vanguard just by stepping on Lorin."

He knew what I was referring too. It was the same reason that'd pushed Narmey into throwing me overboard. I was nothing more but a devil. I was a purple-eyed demon, nothing more than a filthy Lykro, doomed to nothing more than solitude and repercussions. And there was nothing he could have said to change my view on this situation as a whole.

Foreigner had always been the kindest of words used when it came to me.

I'd been young when the people back in Chrosiys had first started calling me names. I'd been young, yes. But not stupid.

I knew what it meant. The side-eyes they spared me whenever I went out on errands. The sudden surge in prices each time I asked a vendor for something that's sparked my interest. Those were still better than the actual runs- I'd lost count with the numbers of times I'd escape into a dark alley to avoid conflict, only to come out at night making sure nobody would see me sneak away.

My experience within Arcane had been better, but still not enough to forget- nothing would have made me forget.

"I took the liberty of looking at your files." He pointed towards a couple of papers resting on his desk. "You seem to be many things, Captain Drykon. But not unworthy."

Had it been General Usbert saying those words I could have flooded the room with tears.

I lowered my head. Another thing I was not expect was getting praised by someone who'd never met before, let alone seen me in action. "Again. I ask you to take back your most recent proposition." I had no problems in pressing him at his own game. I had nothing to lose. Only General Usbert had the last word when it came to transfers. And not once had a member of the Brigade been transferred to the Vanguard, and vice versa.

"Firelights. Funny little creatures." He started, turning around to look at me. "Do you know what makes them so valuable?"

"That they never burn out unless someone does it on purpose," everyone knew that. Half of the lights inside the buildings of Arcane came from their lights.

A blood curling smile. "That's only half of the truth behind them."

I straightened. Sweat now beading my skin. It was common knowledge that the Vanguard held more information in general, they had a close collaboration with the Astral Scholars after all. I held my tongue as I schooled my features into neutrality.

He took his time examining me, taking my posture, scrutinizing my stare. For a Head of Division, he was quite young- way younger that General Usbert was. I could bet a round of shots back at Hollis that his age did not touch thirty-five.