Something Changed

Veneer's Pov

My sister and I will work much more in the studio now that summer has arrived.

Just not today.

Today was a day off, so we decided to take it easy and relax. My sister had been eager to introduce me to a new talk show that she'd been obsessed with. She kept insisting, "We need to get on this show after we become famous. I swear all the most famous people are on it." She leaned back and clicked on the remote. I had never even heard of the show before, and it didn't seem like anything special.

The host began speaking, and I felt a warmth in my chest. Perhaps I do desire a life of fame. Maybe this is my calling. He was my calling. 

I couldn't take my eyes off the TV, addicted to the new feeling of warmth. I have no clue what this feeling is, but I can only assume it's a feeling of belonging. I felt myself wanting to comment on it, but I seriously could not take my eyes off of this interviewer. The show was captivating, I guess I know why Velvet likes it so much. 

"Jeez, it seems like you like this show even more than I do. You're so fascinated by the lifestyle, right?" She appears ecstatic and thrilled to see me interested in the famous life. "Something like that," I mutter, still trying to figure out my feelings. 

She quickly turns off the TV and faces me with a smile. "I've got it! We should start performing covers. That's how all the other stars did it!" I shake off my confusion and smile back at her. "Vel, where will we do that?" I can tell that's the question she's been waiting for me to ask. "Well, there's this festival coming around to our area... a couple of famous people are going to be there, even that interviewer from the show! We could sing for him and blow him away. He'd HAVE to interview us." I shake my head and look down, "You have to be realistic. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. There's a chance he might see something in us, but what if he doesn't?" I glance back up, hoping not to let her down again. Good news, she's in a better mood and doesn't seem to be upset with me anymore.

 "Veneer, how did ABBA get famous? By being realistic? No! Stars become stars when they shoot for them. Come on, it won't hurt to try." I bite my lip. I can't help but agree with her on this, even though I don't necessarily want to. "You have a point... I'll try to book us a spot."

--

A couple of weeks passed, and the festival came around. Thankfully we booked 2 songs to perform on stage. It's not a lot, but at least it's something to start our career off. Velvet insisted we wear glittery black outfits with capes and platforms. It's very eccentric, but that's the exact look she's going for. We look like idiots walking around trying to find the venue in these flashy outfits, but we certainly do have the looks to be famous. Black sparkled outfits with long capes, platforms, and black sunglasses. 

We decided to cover an ABBA song (of course), which suited our vocals perfectly. I'm honestly really pleased with our choice of song. We signed in and waited for our turn to perform. The show was quite lengthy, with plenty of people signing up to perform. While some of them were great, others not so much.

As we took our places, I couldn't help but feel terrified. It was our first time performing, and if we messed up, it would be embarrassing. Before the music started, I scanned the crowd and spotted a familiar face. Velvet had been right - the interviewer was there, watching us closely. I had to keep an eye on him to see if he was enjoying the show. As soon as Velvet began singing, the audience was captivated, and I could see the enjoyment on their faces. The interviewer looked surprised but pleased. Which was a good sign. 

As we were performing, I felt that warm feeling again. I still can't figure out what it is. 

Our flow was incomparable. We meshed so well together, that it was a blur. We sang "Lay All Your Love On Me" and "Money Money Money" followed shortly after. 

There's not much else I can say about the performance, it went fantastic. The crowd loved us, and the interviewer was very amused. We left the stage after we finished and took a second to debrief.

"Veneer, he was there," Velvet mumbled as she tried to catch her breath. "I couldn't keep my eyes off of him, I swear!" I was overly excited about the whole interviewer thing. He could help our careers drastically, we need this. "He might talk to us!! I think he liked our performance!!" Velvet packed all of the equipment up as she gushed about our successful show. I stayed dormant for a second, processing everything. 

Before I knew it, Velvet had left without me to go find the interviewer. I sigh and pack my equipment up as well. I head out of the backstage, not looking where I was going. Then, the inevitable happened. I bumped into somebody, dropping my bag of expensive gear. "Oh god, I'm so sorry!! I wasn't paying attention," I said as the man knelt to pick up my bag. "It's okay, please don't worry about it," He spoke as he handed my bag to me. "Oh, it's you..." I blurted out subconsciously. "Do we know each other?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion. "NO, no no,  sorry, I didn't mean it that way!! I just really like your show, I guess..." I look away, shielding myself from embarrassment. He laughed a bit, "I really liked your show. You and your sister killed it out there! However, maybe work on your stage presence. Look more at the audience, not me." Fuck. I blushed, unsure of how to respond to that bomb he just dropped. "Sorry... I was just nervous." He shrugged, a smile still stuck on his face. "Don't apologize! All singers go through the 'same face syndrome' when first starting out... So, uh, I actually have a question to ask you." He drifted off topic, reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a card and handed it to me. The card had his phone number, name, email, and times available. Kid Ritz. "Could we schedule a call sometime? I'd love to interview you and your sister. I think you both have a lot of potential and I'd be happy to help you gain some exposure." 

"You're fucking kidding me, right?"

A/N - So I finally added some entertaining factors. 

This chapter is a little harder to read than the others, I think. I keep feeling like I'm going off-topic a lot and changing the story. Pls let me know if this is any good! I love feedback! 

Thank you so much for making it to chapter 2, I'm so grateful people are actually reading this!!