The Ball (Chapter 4)

"Sooo, what are the chances of me not going to this?"

"Pretty damn slim. Why?" said Taylor.

"Well, you know this ball is to welcome back the future alpha, and I don't want to risk running into him; beside, they are also having like 5 other packs here to try and find his mate tonight, so no one will even notice if I'm not here."

"Well, as fair a point as that is, you know we are at the age of finding our mates and haven't found them, so we are required to go also look at it this way; maybe we will find them tonight."

Taylor was always so positive about mates. He had two goals in life: to become a warrior and to find his mate.

"Please, dude, come for me?"

"FUCKKKKK. Fine." I said as I fished hanging the last of the lights.

"We didn't do half bad. Now let's get the fuck out of here." As I jump off the ladder

"Ok, I got homework and training to do, so let's meet up later, ok?"

"Yes sir!" I said with a little salute as I booked it out of there.

As soon as I hit the woods, I shifted, letting Kai have full control and running. Nothing feels better than the wind blowing in your fur. You can hear every little critter; we even chased a few rabbits. As the sun starts to set, I begin to head home for a change of clothes.

Arriving at my house, I can already hear the smashing of things inside. I quickly shift and mentally prepare for what's inside. The second I open the door, a fist comes into contact with my cheek—the same fucking cheek that was punched earlier (RIP MY CHEEK MEAT) as I knocked over the lamp falling to the floor. I quickly picked myself up and made a run for my room. While I definitely could take him in a fight now and usually just take the beating, I don't want to make Taylor worry, at least not tonight.

Quickly lock the door as I hear something else shatter against my door, followed by loud cursing. With a sigh of relief, I started getting ready.

"Hey, not bad."

"Except for the bruised cheek! I got the emergency bag." (Emergency bag, spare pair of clothes, snacks, water, and a pocketknife)

"Good now, let's go suffer through this sad excuse of a party."

"I know you're not happy we are going, nor am I, but we are doing this for our friend."

"Yeah, I know; I just don't want to go. You know, events like this make me jumpy."

"Hey, well, go on a nice long run later, ok?"

"Deal!" I could feel Kai in my head prancing for joy at the suggestion.

"Now let's get out of here," I said as I peaked out of the door, seeing the front door open. A sigh of relief washed over me. "He left."

"Good, now hurry before he comes back."

"Don't need to tell me twice." I Mutter as I make my way out.

Turning to the neighbor's house, I open her barn. Mrs. Robins is the nicest old lady she has been around a while and knows my old man will sell anything for some booze money, so she lets me keep my bike in her barn if I help her around the house a few times a month. Surprisingly, good deal if I do say so myself.

I pull out my red and black Kawasaki. God, she's good-looking. I shut the barn and quickly threw my leg over and took off. There was the feeling of freedom; if there ever was a feeling even close to shifting, it would be this as I drove around the curvy hills like a hidden path of trees. As amazing as the feeling was, the packhouse was right ahead curse me for being a speed demon. I wish I could have ridden a little longer.

Leaving my bike in the forest, I headed inside the room, looking even better than it did earlier, except for all the people. Instantly, I spot Taylor chatting to some cute girls as I make my way over. We make eye contact, and I see him excuse himself as he makes his way over to me.

"Well, well, well, don't you clean up nice~ you can finally see those abbs outside of the same everyday hoodie. I was afraid they had disappeared muscles!"

"Hardy har har, you don't look half bad either," I said, giving Taylor a quick up and down.

"Than-"

Just then the doors fly open, silence falls over the packs, and out steps Alpha Ryan. "Thank you all for coming to celebrate the return of my son and for giving him the chance to find his mate if they are among you! Our pack welcomes

As Alpha Ryan continues his speech, I can't help but be distracted by the wonderful smell of wood chips and pine, my head tuning out every word of the speech and looking around to try and locate the scent. I feel Kai getting worked up; he keeps shouting something in my head, but I can't make out what he's saying; my mind feels like it is floating.

Then the doors open again, and out comes the most handsome man I have ever seen. With deep brown hair and foggy gray eyes, he stood well over six feet with wide shoulders and a light stubble. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks; the overwhelming smell was emanating from him, and just then the word Kai had been saying, I could finally hear it, "Mate." It took everything in me not to say it aloud with him. Suddenly the handsome man started scanning the crowd, and his eyes locked. His handsome smile quickly vanished, only to be quickly replaced by a strained grimace. It felt like I'd been shot, then the realization dawned on me: this was soon to be Alpha Noah Black.

My blood runs cold. I look at him as he speaks after his father, but I can't hear a single word. My vision is shaky, and it hurts to breathe. I turn away and struggle to get to the exit. While Taylor gives me a concerned look. I give him a reassuring smile and brush past him along with other people as I make my way outside.

Who knew one cold look could do all this?

Kai screaming in my head, "We have to go back to mate!"

"NO!" I scream, "We can't." Pain shoots through my body as I lean on the outside wall for support.

*Snap

"Whose there?"

Then, like any good Disney villain, Justin steps out of the shadows.

"Damn, you heard that? Guess I'm not as light on my feet as you, fairy."

"Fuck you, I don't have the energy to deal with you right now. Piss off!" My head was throbbing.

"I don't think so. Fucking mutt!" He screamed as he grabbed me by the hair and slammed me into the wall. I was leaning on; I couldn't see anything through the blood as he repeatedly smacked my head.

Just like earlier, it happened Kai took control. I could only see red; if it were from rage or the blood dripping down my head, I didn't know. Still lightheaded as I watched Kai tear into Justin, just then someone tore me off Justine and threw me to the ground. Looking up, I saw him, Noah Black.