Identity Reveal

Ladynoir/Adrienette angst/fluff? Plus a reveal

-

The statue stood, tall and pretentious at the edge of the park, taunting Ladybug with shiny silver and misleading heroism.

It went against every single moral she held not to steal the Cat Miraculous and cataclysm it to the ground.

But oh wasn't it just so great that they gave Paris's hero such a fitting memorial? Wasn't it so great that a normal man, the completely ordinary Gabriel Agreste, played such a pivotal role in defeating the monster known as Hawkmoth? And without powers no less?

Sure. Let him take all the credit. It wasn't like Ladybug had actually done all the work, on top of fighting Paris's battles for months. That point was - clearly - irrelevant.

What was worse, however, was that the insulting monument stood just next the the Dupain-Cheng bakery, less than one hundred yards from Marinette's window and obscuring her previously beautiful view of the city.

So not only did this abomination exist, but she had to see it every. Single. Day.

"Hey, M'lady." Chat Noir announced his presence by landing atop the fence Ladybug leant on.

"Admiring the statue?"

More like envisioning 101 ways to destroy it without anyone noticing.

"Pfft, sure. You ready for patrol?" Ladybug rolled her eyes and pushed off the fence.

"How come you don't like the statue?" Chat slid down one of the bars on the fence, "Jealous M'lady?"

"No, of course not," Ladybug scoffed, before adding slyly, "although a statue would've been nice."

Chat Nour laughed, her desired reaction to get his mind off-

"So how did Gabriel die? And Hawkmoth for that matter? I mean I know you won but you never said how." Chat mused, curiosity leaking into his voice.

Discomfort prickled at Ladybug's spine and she wished they could just get on with Patrol, "It's really not that important..." she mumbled nervously.

You'd think after being a superhero for almost a year she'd have learnt how to lie right.

"Not that important? Ladybug we worked towards this for months, he- he destroyed Paris, it made international news, what part of this is unimportant?" Chat said incredulously.

"Chat just drop it, it's over now, Monarchs gone and Gabriel's a h- a hero..." Ladybug almost choked trying to force the words out of her mouth in a somewhat lighthearted manner.

"But I'm your partner, it's you and me m'lady, out of the whole of France I deserve to know." Chat Noir pleaded gently.

"But it wasn't you and me. It was just me. You- you left and I was all alone and- and I lost and now I can't tell anyone and-" All her emotions were rising to the surface and all of a sudden Ladybug felt a crippling exhaustion tug at her core.

"Hey, hey Ladybug," Chats hands her on her shoulders. His face was in hers. His eyes were a green mixture of confusion and concern and it only made Ladybug feel worse. "I'm sorry I wasn't there okay? I was- something came up and I was...indisposed,"

Of all the emotions Ladybug was feeling, guilt was strongest. But there was also betrayal warring with everything she'd felt in the last couple of weeks, in the last year, that she couldn't ignore.

"What do you mean you lost bugaboo?" The soft tone of his voice felt like a brick on Ladybug's chest.

"He got the miraculous. He made his wish. It was- it was my fault." She said with a deadened voice, swallowing back everything that had happened that night.