Father?

It was a dark and peaceful night. Everything in the city seemed at ease. I was walking from work to the bus stop. I didn't have enough money for a car. I made my way down snowy avenue. I never understood why they called it that. It never snowed here.

I knew I had to get home in a rush. I had to feed my dog, Parker. He was a husky and golden retriever mix. I knew my apartment was a mess by now. Fluff out of the pillows, carpet tore up and his toys scattered on the floor.

I finally made it to the bus stop and I was right on time. On the other side of the road, I thought I saw a familiar face under the street light. I saw something that I thought I would never see. My heart began to pound in my chest.

"F-father?" I called out but the bus soon appeared, hiding the over side of the road.

I wanted to go see if my father was actually there. Just run up and hug him tightly. Instead, I got on the bus and asked the bus driver if she saw someone. She said the only person she saw was me there.

I just nodded and went to my usual seat. I saw a little girl and her father. My heart melted at the sight. I soon sat down in my seat and put my earbuds in.

After the ride, I went to go into my house. I walked up the sidewalk and to my door. I took my keys out and noticed something off. My door was unlocked. I took my pepper spray out of my pocket.

Looking back I should've called the cops. Parker wasn't even barking nor did he run up to the door to greet me. Something was wrong, very wrong. I soon smelled food from the kitchen which was very off putting to me.

I walked in and then saw the familiar figure. Parker was laying on the cold floor and seemed content with his resting position.

"Nick! What the hell are you doing here?" I asked.

The taller man turned around with a smile on his face. That usual warm and happy smile. It disgusted me. His hazel eyes looking down upon me makes me want to kick him to the ground.

"Well, you said I could come over whenever I wanted! I got hungry and wanted to surprise you. Parker was happy to see me. I would've messaged but my phone died." Nick stood there before making a plate for I and himself.

Parker finally heard my voice and jumped up from his spot. He ran over, tail wagging like a pendulum. He jumped up to be pet, so I put the pepper spray in my pocket. I soon pet my little fur baby.