Chapter 1

--June 5th, 2016

Taylor came home in a good mood, even though it was a bad day. The school week ended and it was time to start up the new game he bought recently called Combat Online, assuming he was alone, which he was. He entered the house and ate a larger than normal snack, used the bathroom, and went into his room. He sat down on his bed and pulled out his phone, 3:45. He was supposed to meet his friend, Nathan, in the game in 15 minutes. Normally he would be meeting up with a group of friends, but they hadn't bought the Virtual Gear, Which was required to play the game.

He went to his messages, where there was one notification.

Nate: Hey, I won't be able to get on today, grades caught up with me, but I'll be on tomorrow, go ahead and get a head start in the game, so you can carry me through it later.

This was disappointing, but he didn't mind this time, at least he would stay the powerhouse when his friend would see him.

Taylor put on the Virtual Gear, put the game disk in the receiver, and relaxed as if he was going to sleep, because in many ways, he was. He had never done this before, but he knew the words.

He shut his eyes. "Start Game!" He called out

What happened after that is hard to describe, maybe it was what teleportation felt like, of course he had no reference. It was like he was slowly spinning while being pulled from all directions at once, then all was white. He seemed to be in a large room with a virtual menu bar, it signed in his account automatically, typically there was only one account on these things.

Then he was invisible, in the game's spawn for beginners, and watched as the game built his avatar on him. The HUD name above his head appeared.

Surviver_131

He was in the game, in the world, Not a controlled person by someone with a controller. His body and thoughts were literally in the game. He had never seen anything like this before. He breathed, smelled, touched, everything. It was 100% real, apart from the lack of all pain.

Around him were a lot of other beginners. Taylor thought about teaming up with some of them, as he got one or two messages from them, but decided that he needed to team with Nathan, and that would be that.
His quest arrow showed up, which is basically a guide to help you get, complete, or find something. He followed them throughout the town and got familiar with the buildings, making sure he knew where to buy gear, weapons, and items.

By the time he was done, he'd picked up what looked like a basic sword, two thin-bladed swords, a knife, and some basic leather gear. He explored his skills, which were battle styles. The most appealing were; Dual Blade and Brawler.

He was the type of person that preferred up close and personal, so he selected Dual Blade and Brawler as his two main combat styles.

"Nathan would be shaking his head at me" Taylor thought

Finally, after equipping his gear, it was about time to head out. Just as he reached the city border another player approached him, his avatar looked like a short teenager, and apparently selected the most concealed armor set, because he couldn't take in anything else about the player.

"Hey, could you help me?" The player asked. The GamerTag read as NightAssassin. The voice seemed female, but in a virtual world, you never knew who was what.

"Whats up?" Taylor asked

"Well... I'm new to the game, and I wanted some advice with what battle style I should use." she said scrolling through them.

Taylor laughed a little "I'm new to the game too."

The player, even concealed, seemed to panic. "Oh, I'm so sorry!"