VI

Taehyung's pov

A few days passed. Today was the Chinese New Year, that some people would be celebrating, nevertheless, it was a workday so even now at 6pm I was still in the office. Mr. Kimble had visited me the other day to make a deal with me: 4 500 000 KW (approx: 3090$) for me to present him in court. However, I wasn't ready with my decision yet. According to Namjoon, a colleague of Jin in the Busan police, Sarah's death was indeed a murder. They've established the cause of death: suffocation with a pillow, that was found in the trash can with her DNA. After the interrogation of her mother, she claims that relatives of Mr. Kimble were behind the murder, stating that Sarah has had a relationship with a very important client of Stylish Living. Further investigations have discovered that it might related to gambling. This for now.

Did I mention that I was in the office? Yes, but not mine.

I had asked for a visit with Ms. Cho. I was sitting in front of her in the interrogation room. She was looking down at the corner of the table with her legs crossed and all I could see was emptiness in her eyes.

"Mrs. Cho, I came here to talk about Sarah."

There was no reaction. I proceeded.

"I want to ask you about her relationship with this important client. Do you know anything about it? It seems as if he's been into gambling, is this correct?"

Still nothing.

"Ms. Cho, I came here because I want to know the truth. I want to know about your daughter."

Eventually, she glimpsed up and studied my face, before calmly speaking up:

"Do you have children, Mr. Kim?"

Well, I wasn't surprised by the question. She was looking for understanding and now she would prove me, that I can not relate to her situation. I put down the pen.

"No, I don't."

"Then why bother?", she lifted her head more, looking down on me. I bit my bottom lip and glanced to the side, brushing my hair away.

"This does not mean I want to harm you. I just want to find out the truth." ,was all I could say, but this was not an excuse. She examined me further, fixing her position. After a long pause, she started talking:

"Yes, Mr. Kim, my daughter was into gambling. First, it was online. Occasionally she would even win some money. That is how she paid for her license. But she wanted more action, so she arranged a meeting with one of the best gamblers. Of course, I was fully against this madness, but nothing could stop her."

I was taking notes while she was talking. Apparently, there has been a game with the respective unknown where she has taken part, and this might have been the key to everything. But this was far more complicated to be investigated considering all forms of gambling were prohibited according to the Korean Criminal Code. The woman leaned forward, staring directly into my eyes.

"Find out who killed my daughter, Mr. Kim."

All I could promise her is that I would try my best to do so. When I left the room, I saw a tall man in a dark blue uniform standing there. Once he spotted me, he introduced himself.

"Hello, Mr. Kim, I am Kim Namjoon from the Busan police. Nice to meet you."

So this was Jin's colleague. I returned the friendly smile and shook his hand with a small bow. "Pleasure, Mr. Kim, but call me Taehyung. Is Jin already here?"

"Yes, he is.", we both walked to the main hall together. "He arrived ten minutes ago and was watching your conversation with Mrs. Cho. The new information will be helpful for the case.", but before he could continue, Jin appeared out of nowhere. "Seems like we got to deal with gambling.", he handed two folders to Namjoon. "You've got some papers to read. Call me if you find something."

The other nodded: "Yes hon-"

...

Lol, what?

I turned my head to him, then again to Jin. Both remained quiet, looking awkwardly away from each other and I squinted my eyes.

Yes, sus. 

"You two...?". I didn't know how else to indicate what I was hitting on. Perhaps they wanted to keep it a secret but too bad, Namjoon fucked up. The other let out a sigh.

"Yes. No further questions. Go home now. You look tired."

Well, that was new. And whenever I thought about it that day I would grin in my mind. Jin and Namjoon? Namjin? Adorable. Who would have thought? I was truly interested how it happened, but I left it for another time.

On my way home I was thinking about the whole information I had gathered. It made sense, right? Sarah has become a victim to one of the illegal gamblers. But we needed solid proof and we needed to know what exactly happened. My phone started ringing while I was driving and I picked up without looking at the screen.

"Yes?", in fact, I forgot to use my formal answer and yes, I know you are not supposed to call during driving but oh well. 

"Mr. Kim, it is me, Jimin. The company called and wanted to receive a reply soon otherwise they would look for another lawyer. What am I supposed to do?"

"Nothing, we are going to deal with them tomorrow. Did Mr. Kimble call?"

"No, it was the Chinese agent. They feel affected by this 'tragedy' and want to continue their work normally again as soon as possible. I wrote down his name and contact."

"Drop it at the secretary."

"Mr. Kim?"

"Yes?"

There was some silence on the call.

"I didn't do anything wrong, did I? Mr. Kimble hasn't shown interest in talking to me ever since he met you."

"No, you didn't. He is obviously trying to be liked by everyone. Don't get affected. It is for the better, that you are not involved. He is not a very good man." and it was indeed. This man was up to no good.

He thanked me and said good night while I passed by firework preparations on the streets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapters are getting more interesting