3. The Sickness that spreads

THE SICKNESS THAT SPREADS        ✷       CHAPTER THREE:

                                   HEESO WAS SICK, again. But her head didn't pound, her throat didn't squeeze shut, and she didn't shiver in her own skin. Nobody, not a single soul, would believe her pleas. Time bled into itself. Her skin was hot and everything burned, but Heeso knew it was futile. 

  She could hear their mocking laughter ringing loudly in her ears, the silent stares and endless pity  mountains of it; it seemed to emanate off them. 

  She hated being pitied. They all thought she was bluffing and seeking attention with her outbursts and, in turn, they offered her unrequited solace. Someone to talk too, some sort of confession  Heeso wasn't religious for a reason.

   "Are you doing this for attention?" Yul had asked, curiosity swam in his eyes like ripples in an ocean. 

  "And what if I am?" her eyes were narrowed, like two snakes boring into Seo Yul's, waiting for a chance to attack and sink her teeth deep  she wanted to bind him in her clutches. He hoped her poison would serve as some sort of antidote.

  "He won't see you." 

  He was right, of course he was, he always had been. Her heart had sunk, her seizing had ceased, and her breathing had slowed to a gentle rhythm. 

  Jang Uk would never see her for who she truly was. 

  He had never cared to understand her silent pining; to hear the thrumming of her chest every time he passed by, the ringing in her ears, the way her frown curled into a gentle smile. The red stamped across her cheeks was just blush to him and the red that stained her lips would never be from him.

  It made her want to scream, but the guttural sobs would not leave her body in the name of Jang Uk. 

  She would rather let the sickness fester, and his eyes wander.  

                             HEESO WOKE WITH a pained jolt. Her hair clung to her forehead and beads of sweat trickled down her sides. 

  The sun appeared to peak through the small gaps in her shutters, temporarily blinding her as black dots scattered her vision. She could feel the pounding in her head from the wine prior, but nothing except lots of alcohol could still her burning heart. 

  A cold towel pressed against her forehead and she felt herself melt underneath the cool touch. She didn't protest, just let the hand mold against her skin as it attempted to subdue her burning fever.

   "Why do you drink so much?"

  Heeso blinked as she stared up at the unfamiliar face. "Who are you?" she grumbled out as she forced her eyes open. Stars swum in her vision. 

   "Mu-deok?" 

   Heeso felt her face contort into a scowl as Jang Uk entered. He didn't seem to notice her, his eyes glued to the girl above her.

  "Young Master," she bowed. 

  "What are you doing here?" He whispered out, his voice deep and husky as he cupped Mu-deok's face in his hands, his expression faltered at the look on her face. 

  Heeso's breath caught in her own throat. She felt like she was interrupting like she could combust in her own skin at any given moment. The concern in his eyes as he stared down at Mu-deok made her shiver. 

  Mu-deok flinched at his touch. She stepped back. It was then that Jang Uk's eyes passed over Heeso's still body. 

  "Don't glare so much, it's troubling, Heeso," he forced out. Though his lips were curled into a grin, his eyes were dull. The annoyance seemed to flicker in and out of his eyes. 

   Heeso felt sick. It was as though she was a nuisance, haven disrupted a supposedly intimate moment. 

  She turned her head away. "Don't," she started as she stood, her legs wobbled slightly as she tried to regain her balance. "I'll leave you to your lovers affair." 

  Mu-deok's eyes widened. "It's not—"

  "She's my master," Jang Uk interrupted. 

  Heeso faltered, her breath hitched in her throat, the words muddled together. She stared in disbelief at the small girl before her; so delicate, as though one touch would send her flying, and then she laughed. 

  She keeled over as her head spun. She grasped at her sides, feeling as though her ribs would collapse. "Am I dreaming?" she choked out in-between breaths. 

  Jang Uk had said it with such confidence as he stared into Heeso's eyes, accompanied by the most serious expression she had ever seen him sport. She had almost gasped at the look in his eyes. 

  "You're telling the truth." She narrowed her eyes then, curiosity stitched in-between her brows. 

  Awkward silence filled the air at the absence of their conversation. But the question still hung in the air, or rather the questions Heeso wanted so desperately to ask like if the girl before her could fix her and make the disappointment that shrouded her disappear. 

    But the only question that slipped Heeso's lip was, "Who is she?"

   He looked away, eyes refusing to meet the intensity of her stare. 

   "I am Naksu."

    And then Heeso lost it.  

   She buckled over, her eyes crinkled as she laughed. She bowed her head in attempt to hide the grin spreading across the apples of her cheeks. 

   "Dang-gu," she barked out through bursts of laughter. "I expected him to say something as stupid. But you, Jang Uk  you seriously believe she is Naksu?"

  His silence was enough of an answer. 

                              ✷ AUTHOR'S NOTE:       guyssss idek where this story is going help ?? it's very very au ig  anyway this chapter is hopelessly mid but yolo, lmk what u think ?? i lit hav given up on all my other books HELP must update but cba !!!

   anywayyyyyyyyy welcome to samdal-ri is litro such a good show xo 

  also, the fact that this is probs one of the best books i hav uploaded, and is also the most criminally underrated actually pains me like PLEASE