your child is sick

"Mommy?" Your daughter whispered as she opened the door to your bedroom.

It was dark and quiet as she walked over to your side of the bed.

You were sound asleep with Reneé's arms wrapped around you but as your daughter called out for you a little louder and shook your shoulder, you opened your eyes.

"Mommy?"

You rubbed your eyes and looked around the room before looking at your little girl.

"Rose? Honey, what's the matter?"

"I don't feel good."

You turned the lamp on and as the room lit up, your girlfriend stirred.

"You don't feel good?"

Rose nodded her head and rubbed her tired eyes before you gently picked her up.

"My tummy hurts and I feel funny."

"Nauseous?" You asked and she nodded weakly.

"What's going on?" Reneé asked as she sat up, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I think Rose is coming down with something." You said as you gently placed your hand on your daughter's forehead.

Her skin felt very warm.

"She's got a fever."

"Do you have a thermometer around?" Reneé asked as she pushed off the covers.

"In the bathroom."

She got up and walked into the bathroom to grab the thermometer before returning.

Rose was whining due to how sick she felt and she curled up to you as she continued to run her tired eyes.

"Hey, sweetheart." Reneé softly said to your little girl. "Can you open your mouth so I can put this under your tongue and check your fever?"

Rose parted her lips and let Reneé put the thermometer under her tongue.

"There we go, honey. It's okay." You said as Reneé rubbed Rose's back comfortingly.

It was a moment later when the thermometer began to beep and when Reneé pulled it from under Rose's tongue, she showed it to you.

"100.3." You said aloud before sighing. "Okay, honey. Can you stay with Reneé while I go grab you something to drink?"

Rose nodded and cuddled up to Reneé as you got up.

"It's okay, sweetheart," Reneé spoke softly as she kissed your daughter's forehead softly. "You feel sick, hm?"

"Yeah." Rose sniffled.

"Oh, it's alright. Your mom and I will get you feeling better in no time."

Meanwhile, you were in the kitchen getting her a cup of water and as soon as you had it, you went back upstairs.

But you stopped in Rose's room to grab her some looser clothes, something she'd feel more comfortable in.

You also grabbed her favorite stuffed animal for her as well as her favorite light blanket that would bring her comfort.

One thing about your little girl is that when she's sick, she doesn't like sleeping on her own.

So you knew already that she'd want to curl up with you and Reneé for the night.

"Okay, my loves. I'm back." You said. "How are you feeling, honey? How's your tummy?"

"Sore," Rose replied.

"Do you feel as if you might throw up?" You asked as you tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

She shrugged her shoulders and you looked at Reneé, who looked saddened by Rose's reply.

"I got you some water. Can you take a few sips for me?"

You brought the cup to her mouth and she took a few slow sips before curling back up to Reneé.

"Good job. Do you feel hot or cold?"

"No." She replied as she closed her eyes.

"You're comfortable?"

She nodded.

"I brought your blanket and your favorite teddy bear."

"Thank you." She said as you handed them to her.

"I'll be right back and then we can lay down." You told Reneé.

"Take your time, baby." She told you and brushed her fingers across yours, noticing how anxious you looked.

You sent her a soft smile and kissed her cheek before getting up and leaving the room again.

You grabbed a bucket for Rose, just in case she needed to be sick and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.

You returned and set the bucket down before turning back to Rose.

Her eyes were shut and she seemed as though she was finally drifting off to sleep.

"Rose, honey?" You whispered as you rubbed her shoulder. "Do you want to sleep in here with me and Reneé tonight?"

She nodded weakly, still not feeling well at all.

You and Reneé laid down as Rose laid between you.

"I know she feels so yucky. It breaks my heart seeing her this way." You whispered as you kept your eyes on Rose.

"This is the first time she's been sick since I've been around. It's heartbreaking." Reneé said.

You nodded in agreement, smiling slightly upon seeing how much she adored your little girl.

You and Reneé have been dating for the past ten months and not only has she fallen in love with you, but your little girl has stolen her heart as well.

Rose is still so young, only six years old, and she doesn't have any memories of her father since he walked out when she was just a baby.

She loves Reneé and thinks of her as another mom because she knows that she's safe and loved with her.

She's pretty healthy and has a good immune system but sicknesses always creep up and it seems that your little girl has caught something.

"I have a feeling she's going to throw up eventually. I know how awful she feels. I wish I could take it all away from her." You sighed.

"You're a great mom. You know that?"

"Well, you're a pretty great stepmom." You said as you locked eyes with your girlfriend. "She loves you."

"I love her too. If you need anything, please let me know. I want to help however I can."

"Okay. You should rest. I know I'm going to be up all night. I have to keep an eye on her fever and if she needs me for any reason, I want to be right here."

"Don't worry, I'm not going to be getting any rest either. Not when my girls are unwell. She's sick and you're worried and I want to comfort you both."

You reached over to tuck a lock of hair behind Reneé's ear.

"I love you."

"I love you too." She replied with a soft smile. "I hope she feels better soon."

"Me too." You sighed as you both gazed at your little girl, both of you hoping she'd get better as the night went on and not worse.