chapter 4

A/N - Thankyou for your patience everyone, I'm done with my prelims now. I'll be updating more regularly!😀

“How is he?” Shubh could feel the fine tremble going through his hands, anxiety ratcheting up at the serious look on the doctor's face.

“I'll be honest with all of you, it was touch and go there for a while. His heart stopped on the table, we had to bring him back,” The scene from his nightmare played in front of his eyes as Shubh took an instinctive step backwards. Jaddu stepped closer and silently leaned a shoulder against his back. The opener welcomed the support as he let the older man take some of his weight.

“But he's young, and stubborn from what I can tell. If he makes it through the night, I don't see why he shouldn't make a full recovery.” Her voice grew kinder, and her expression softened for the first time. “He must love all of you very much, because he's fighting to stay. It's your job now, to support him and bring him back. I've done all I can. If anything happens, or if you have any questions, I'll be here through the night, just ask anyone from the staff to point you towards my cabin,” She nodded at them once after finishing and walked away, already surrounded by nurses talking about a different patient.

The news took a few minutes to sink in. The fact that Ishan would survive this, that he hadn't killed his best friend came as a shock to his system. He collapsed on one of the chairs and hid his face in his hands. A few tears escaped his eyes still, but they were more because of relief than anything else.

“Maine Ishan ke parents ko phone kar diya hai,” (I've called Ishan's parents.) Surya's words made Shubh look up. He'd forgotten about uncle and auntie in that entire mess.

“Voh aana chahte the, par unke pass Visa nahi hai. Hume—” (They wanted to come, but they don't have a Visa. We'll—) Sky’s voice cracked in between, and Shubh was reminded that it wasn't just him who was missing Ishan. The rest of the ICT was taking this hard too, especially Surya Bhai who was so close to the youngster.

“Hume hi khayal rakhna padega iska abhi,” (We'll be the ones taking care of him now.)

“Aap tension mat lo, bhaiya, apna Ishu hume chod kar kahi nahi ja raha. Shubh ko usne naaraz dekha na, humpe itna chilaega ki hum hi bhaag jaenge,” (Don't worry, bhaiya, ishan’s not leaving us and going anywhere. If he sees Shubh sad, he'll scream at us so much that we'll have to run away.) That finally made a smile appear on everyone's face. Siraj could feel Ishan’s approval at the back of his mind and he felt the first bit of peace since this whole ordeal started.

A commotion from the entrance of the waiting room drew their attention. Before he could register what was happening, a tiny blur zoomed towards him and climbed into his lap.

He looked down at the child who was trying to hug him, hugging back on autopilot when he recognised Sammy.

Wait, SAMMY? Sammy's here? That means… He whipped his head around to find Rohit Bhai and Ritika bhabhi standing in the doorway. A few seconds later two more figures appeared at their back. Shubh blinked a couple of times to make sure he wasn't hallucinating, because that couldn't be Virat Bhai and Anushka bhabhi, could it?

“What?” Before he could say anything else, Anushka strode forward and deposited little Vami in his lap. Sammy shifted to make space for the baby, before putting an arm across her and snuggling back into his chest.

Shubh was lost for words, staring down at the two children in his lap. Horrifyingly, a fresh set of tears started pooling in his eyes, but he hurried to blink them back.

“Sammy, aap yaha kya kar rahe ho?” (Sammy, what are you doing here?) He decided to ask the kid instead of her father, because he knew if he looked at his seniors he'd start crying again.