chapter 1

A/N Be warned: this story is set towards the end of the Third Shinobi War, but is an overhaul of the Narutoverse, things like culture, dress code, norms, history, and canon events have been changed. So please read with that in mind.

Can you match the Great Nation / Minor Nation to the real life culture I've written in as? Answers are at the end of the chapter xx

Karin's mother does not have a canonical name, so I named her Arashi, the Japanese word for 'storm'.

::

Year 1677

Year 1677

Autumn — November 1st — 11:47

The Introduction pt1

"Fresh... fresh meat alert!"

The shout startled Yuugao Uzuki out of the stupor she had fallen into as she worked; the soles of her feet were planted firmly on the ground, her knees bent and aching, thighs burning, back bent and sharp-sighted eyes trained on the ground and handful of oleander plant in her gloved left hand. The spike of adrenaline settled almost immediately as her mind recognised the voice and settled her body.

Now that she was much closer— the distance between them obscured by large forest trees— she was able to call out to Yuugao Uzuki, but Yuugao had tracked her approaching presence since the caller had left the clinic. Her yell had been loud enough to be heard over the chatter of the beekeepers that worked on the other side of the trees, somewhere to Yuugao's left side and then a little behind that. Not that it was a hard thing to accomplish. The land situated to her left had a terrible case of The Echo, as it was mostly hills of grassy clearings and areas of trees, with mountains that shielded their north. The housing was somewhere to her right, and aside from their small settlement, it was just nature all around them.

There's a sudden pause in the chatter before all sorts of noise erupts across the forest. Yuugao hears sounds of protests and pleading, there's also the ruffling of clothes and gum-sealed shoe soles scuffing off the ground. She could easily visualise her friend being flagged down and pulled into the huddle of women to share whatever gossip she had been on her way to relay to her.

"No no no—"

"Yes yes yes!"

"Get her arm. No, the other one you absolute flute."

"Get off me you jit."

Knowing that her friend would be there for a while, she went back into herself and continued to pick at the oleander.

"Yuu-Yuu, mask!" an older woman shouted, running around the bend of the dilapidated glasshouse that not only had obscured her but the same one that Yuugao steadied her right hand on to rise to her full height.

"There's no way you're getting that old," Yuugao tilted her head to the side and eyed her critically, fighting the urge to smile. Sure, the mask and scarf she was wearing would hide the shape of her mouth, but her eyes had a tendency to squint which would be a dead giveaway.