Stephanie

I sit in my chair staring onto the ocean, as the sun sets. Sunsets need to be appreciated more. Especially in this moment, as its the only peaceful moment I had all day. Today was supposed to be fun, but of course my friends had to invite their male friends and ruin our girls day at the beach.

So. Annoying.

But I usually wouldn't make a big deal out of it, except today they invited one more person they usually don't invite. Matt. One teenage boy I absolutely hate. And don't worry, it's mutual.

Yet I can't seem to get him out of my head...

I shake my head and tell myself to relax. As I sit here alone still watching the sunset, Leila, my friend walks up to me. Leila, unlike me - is tall, blonde, and has these stunning green eyes. Today she's wearing a floral bikini, that flatters every curve on her.

I really wonder where she gets her clothes.

 "Hey, where have you been all day? I spent so long trying to find you!" 

I smile and look up at her. "I was just trying to relax and watch the sunset, didn't realize you were looking for me." 

She rolls her eyes. "You usually aren't the type of person to watch a sunset. You'd rather be swimming.. or building a sand castle or some shit."

I avoid her eye. Please don't say his name, please don't say his name.

"You're hiding from Matt, aren't you?"

I look up again to see her smug expression. "No! I'm, I'm just tired today- is it illegal to relax?"

"No. But it's unlike you. Anyway, you can bullshit me all you want. When are you going to stop hating him?"

"Never." I get up, and walk away, memories flooding my brain. As I walk away from Leila, I get closer to the other girls and the boys. They're all still annoyingly loud, playing beachball. I look at them for a while, when I feel someone staring at me. It's probably Leila, who won't drop the subject. 

But no, it's not Leila. 

It's Matt.

Matt, who has grown at least 6 inches over the past year. Matt, still with his green eyes, and brown, perfectly cut hair. 

I stare at him way too long, so I immediately look down. Wait, no that makes me look embarrassing. I look back up.

Matt quickly avoids my eye, and slowly walks away.

He slowly, walks away...

Matt isn't the type to walk away like that. Honestly I expected him to slap the shit out of me.

I slow down my breathing, and lay my eyes on what looks like an ice cream truck. I'd love a vanilla cone right now.

I'm walking towards the ice cream truck, and preparing my money when Matt comes running towards me. 

"Stephanie!" He calls out.

I stop in my tracks. "What? What do you want?"

"Can you spare me $2? I could really go for some ice cream."

Wow. How...considerate. He hates me and I hate him, yet he has the audacity to ask me for money? I'm not that surprised though.

I give him the money, so he can leave me alone. It's $2 anyway. 

"Thanks." He simply replies.

I roll my eyes and keep walking towards the truck. I notice the truck engine is off. 

That's weird, but I really want some ice cream so I knock at the truck window. No one answers. 

"Umm hello?" I say. "Anyone in there?" No response. 

I turn to look at Matt who just shrugs and says "Lets just find another truck."

I nod and follow him back where there seems to be more vendors, when all of a sudden I hear footsteps behind me.

I immediately turn to be greeted by a napkin being held against my nose.

Everything goes black, as I collapse.