Stray Cat

"Choi Han go on without us." Lock leveled his shield to his chest, whispering to Choi Han who was behind them.

They were in a pinch, the White Star obtained another ancient power. A step too late for the heroes to stop the said villain from growing stronger.

Choi Han eyes widened at the words of his companion, he cursed the part of himself who wanted to do as the boy says and saved himself, but he couldn't do that not to his friends.

"No way, we'll continue on fighting together. We promised right?" Choi Han tried to persuade Lock who had glared at him.

Lock breathes deeply, readying himself as he hurt his friend, but he had no choice if someone has the possibility to end this war, it was only Choi Han.

"Listen, for a minute, think of it. We'll definitely lose here. We can't lose you. Everyone is looking forward to you ending this war, only you have the chance to end it. Its only you, no one else. So hurry up and run away." Lock spoke with confidence, unusual for a timid and soft boy like him but nothing could persuade Choi Han at that moment.

Choi Han swallowed, his dried eyes from all the tears he had shed for years. He could no longer cry for he had no tears left to cry nor time to be in self pity as in every second he remains stagnant hundreds of civilians and soldiers are dying. He knew Lock was right, but he felt guilty at abandoning his companion. The bright young man who once had the softest smiles, had turned to a cold rational man who made drastic decisions at the face of the war.

Choi Han closed his eyes clenching his knuckles, "Lock... I'm sorry." He withdrew quietly from the battlefield. Before running at full speed away from all the fire and noise he could smell and hear. Away from the scent of the piling dead bodies, away from the pungent smell of decay and ash, and away from the cries of the dying people whose life would forever remain as a weight on his shoulders.

"Sorry too Choi Han, but only you could possibly do it." Lock eyes soften as he watch the figure of his friend grow smaller and smaller as the distance between them widen. He sighs and urgently calmed himself, he was in battle and all he could do is distract their enemies so Choi Han can safely escape.

It is a sunny day sadly the skies are filled with nothing but the gray clouds of smoke from the number of fires growing at the chants of the mages, Lock wanted to die with the blue skies overhim so he may think of his brothers more fondly.

With a stab from the White Star, Lock fell to the ground with a loud thud, his eyes closing and all he could think of was... How nice it would be if his brothers are still alive.

--------------

"More patrol duties for me." Cale sighs as he cast a small ball of light from the palm of his hands, the small light floating around him as he navigate through the forest near their camp.

The battle is still weeks away from where he is stationed, based on the marching of the enemies. His superiors busy with the thinking of contingency plans, his colleagues busy with the bustle of celebrations for another day, and him who is busy at training his swordsmanship and some basic magic.

Its been years since the attack to their territory that took the lives of countless citizens, including his own family. He is a sole survivor who worked hard to earn his place amongst the soldiers. Its been years since then his eyes had dulled, his alcoholism staggered, and the fire within him for revenge only grew stronger.

He made sure to survive this fire for one thing nothing more, to at least deal damage to the monsters who destroyed the lives of those he loved.

With a sigh, Cale continued on with his patrol duty. Hands near his sword in the case of sudden danger, making sure he was in a relaxed pose for his enemies to underestimate his movements.

A sudden rustle at the grass made his senses sharper, with more focus he could hear the soft crunch of dried leaves and dirt, making him realize he is not alone at the vicinity.

More steps grew closer to him as he readied himself to draw his sword, and suddenly a robed figure approached him. An injured man that looks deceiving.

"Who are you and what's your purpose?" Cale pointed his blade at the cloaked person in front of him, checking for openings so he could slash this person at any suspicious movements.

"..." The cloaked figure stepped forward slowly and Cale stood in place. The ball of light floating slowly towards the strange man, illuminating the face beneath the covers.

Cale gasped slowly, "Choi Han?" A face he knew well, the same man remain unchanged from the day he had beaten Cale.

"You... You look familiar." Choi Han spoke dryly his throat perched from all the running he had made, the tiredness catching up on him.

Cale withdrew his sword and with a sigh he made an offer, "We have a camp near here, I could tend your wounds and give you some food and water, you look like you need it."

"Why? Just who are you?" Choi Han asked, his eyes blinking from the petruding light.

"Jerkass, at least remember the name of those you beat half to death. Cale Henituse, ringing any bell?" Cale sighed once more ruffling his hair from the brief annoyance.

"Ah."

"Remember me now? Good, so here lean on me for a bit I'll help you." Cale pulled Choi Han's arm and slung it onto his shoulders, becoming slightly worried to how light Choi Han is.

"Why?"

"Just think of it as me helping a stray cat. Don't think too much of it." Cale's tone lighten as he try to reassure his patient, no, the lost cat who somehow made his way to the forest.

Choi Han wanted to ask what he meant by the cat comment but couldn't do so his body tired and his eyes grew heavy. Cale whispered random topics to him, as he quietly listen and found comfort enough for him to finally relax and close his eyes.

Its been a long day, and Choi Han needed nothing but rest.