Disappearing act (short story)

Hey guys!

Here is a short story I wrote that I really like, hope you guys like it as much as I do and thank you to everyone who has supported me.

I hope you enjoy this story :)

Hannahbanana96

Grace is sitting in the living room of her family home, enjoying the comfort of the familiar surroundings when there is a loud knock at the door. She stands up and walks to the door and what she sees, she would have never imagined. There standing before her is a haggard and distraught looking Alyssa Kelly.

Her petite figure is even smaller than Grace remembers , her big hazel eyes are darkened from years of torture and imprisonment. Her normally bronze skin now pale from sunlight deprivation but Grace doesn't care. she engulfs her friend in a bear hug and doesn't let go, even when tears start to stream down her already tear stained cheeks she just holds on even more. This sensation grounds Grace and provides her with a salvation. The girl standing before her was only 14 when she was abducted and now shes back and alive after 6 years. Alyssa is now back and she couldn't be happier, they finally did it and maybe now she will be able to resume her normal life and maybe she could even go to university to support both herself and Jaxon. These were all possibilities now and it was amazing. It was all over, well for now at least.

The night before, the stars had hung like glistening fruit in the heavy branches, and now everything is different.

Strutting into the gymnasium Grace hesitates as she's momentarily blinded by the brightness of everyone's outfits, who knew so many colours could be found in one place? The crowd of students are dancing and singing to rapidly changing tunes from the eighties.Grace is standing and looking out at the sea of colours and begins to move toward the large crowd wanting to get lost in the hectic atmosphere. She begins to sing the chorus of Toni Basil's "Mickey" with the rest of her school, who knew the Eighties themed dance would cause such a fuss around Sunnyvale high.

She glances down at her outfit, her slender frame covered with tulle and a glittering deep purple velvet. The light catches the purple velvet of the dress making it look shades brighter. Her crimped raven hair flows just below her waist making her look like a goddess and her lime green eyes sparkle under the giant mirrored ball. It was times like these Grace realises that she is 18 and she would finally be graduating later on this year.

Grace is startled as an arm is draped across her shoulder. She glances up through her eyelash extensions to see her younger brother Jaxon. He may only be 16 but his height says otherwise. They look similar in many ways, both have raven hair and striking features but it's Jaxon's big crystal blue eyes that sets him apart. "What are you doing big sis?" He asked casually. "Nothing much, chilling, dancing, attempting to sing." Now this, they both chuckled at, Jaxon often made passing comments about Grace's singing ability or lack of. "Well I have to go sis, the guys and I are going to talk to a few of the girls, cya later." "Jeez one day that boy is going to get himself in a lot of trouble" she thought. Grace couldn't help but notice how much Jaxon had grown up in the past few years since everything has happened. Who knew the little boy that used to squeal when she pretended to steal his nose would grow into such a strong young man.

An ear piercing scream brought Grace out of her thoughts. Everyone rushed to the centre of the room and encircled the area directly beneath the mirrored ball. She saw Jaxon coming towards her as the realisation hit. 'Its happening again!', she muttered under her breath. She slowly slinked through the crowd, trying to get to the centre of the commotion but it wasn't until she was there that she truly saw what was happening around her.So many worried faces, all glancing down at one thing that would change their lives forever. On the floor was the $600 pair of aquamarine studded Betsey Johnson heels and a lock of fiery red hair. At second glance Grace saw something sticking out of one of the heels. She bends over and clasps the object which appears to be a photograph. Grace studies the photograph and realises that it's of Roxie Hayes, Sunnyvale High's very own it girl. But in this photograph her large brown eyes are darkened with fear and you could barely make out the golden flecks which are normally so predominant in her chocolate eyes.

Everyone is quiet, Grace spins on her heels and runs as fast as she can, she reaches the bathroom, runs into a cubicle and locks the door behind her, all she can remember is THAT day no matter how much she wants to forget it.

Grace finally stands up off the cold, tiled floor and leaves the bathrooms. At the door she found Jaxon sitting on the ground with his head in his hands, Grace couldn't ease his pain all she could do was hold him and hope that someone would catch this sick bastard. Hopefully with this new abduction they would find whoever did this and make them pay. They have taken her best friend, they have taken Jaxon's childhood away from him and they have taken Grace's dreams of having a normal life.

The end