Jake Medwell Bio

An esteemed entrepreneur and venture capitalist, Jake Medwell has dedicated his career to fostering the growth and development of businesses. As a co-founder and key partner of 8VC, an Austin, Texas-based venture capital fund, he oversees a remarkable $6 billion asset. His expertise has solidified his position as a prominent logistics technology investment sector figure.

His leadership at 8VC has been instrumental in orchestrating investments in numerous high-profile companies, such as Project 44, Deliverr, Platform Science, FlexPort, FreightWaves, Motive, Trackonomy, The Boring Company, and Outrider

His journey as an entrepreneur precedes his achievements at 8VC. He established Humin, a consumer mobile software company, which Tinder/IAC subsequently acquired. In this venture, he formed the engineering team and drove the company's growth. His entrepreneurial skills were also evident during his college years, evidenced by founding Solé Bicycle Co., which he scaled into a leading entity before it was taken over.

Early Life and Education

His path in entrepreneurship began at the University of Southern California (USC), where he began his studies in 2007. He pursued a Bachelor of Arts in Business and Entrepreneurship from the prestigious Marshall School of Business. His talent was apparent early, as he lectured in the MBA program while still an undergraduate.

Before completing his education in 2011, he founded Kairos and Solé Bicycle Co., continuing to play an active role in both enterprises. He maintains a strong connection with USC, frequently delivering lectures on technology and entrepreneurship, and has contributed by awarding the Athena Entrepreneurship Award.

Serial Entrepreneur

His entrepreneurial flair was evident from his student days. He founded Solé Bicycle Co. during college, nurturing it into an industry front-runner before its acquisition. His talent for creating successful enterprises extended further. He co-founded Humin, a consumer mobile software company, where he led the team and fostered growth until its acquisition by Tinder/IAC.

He also ventured into the non-profit arena, co-founding The Kairos Society, an organization committed to addressing global challenges through business innovation.

Founding Partner at 8VC

Best known for establishing 8VC, a significant venture capital fund in Austin, Texas, Jake Medwell has steered the fund to become a key player in logistics tech investment. 8VC has led investments in several notable companies, including Deliverr, Project 44, FlexPort, Platform Science, FreightWaves, Trackonomy, Motive, The Boring Company, Outrider, and more.

8VC collaborates with entrepreneurs to develop technology platforms that yield long-term economic and social benefits. His experience includes founding and growing successful companies such as Palantir, Addepar, Affinity, and OpenGov. 8VC's investment scope spans innovative enterprise platforms in financial services, healthcare, logistics, and bio-IT sectors.

A History of Successful Ventures

Beyond Solé Bicycle Co., he has been pivotal in the initiation and development of various successful companies:

Kairos

In 2009, he co-founded Kairos, later becoming a member of its board of directors. Through this venture, he has mentored budding entrepreneurs and connected them with global industry leaders. Kairos runs multiple investment funds and annually launches 2 to 3 companies targeting societal problems.

Humin

He co-established Humin 2012, creating a platform that transformed how people manage and view their contacts, altering mobile phone interactions. Humin was acquired by IAC in 2016.

8VC

He co-founded 8VC in 2015, a leading private investment fund with over $5 billion in committed capital, focusing on enterprise software, logistics, biotech, and healthcare. His efforts at 8VC earned him recognition as the most active logistics technology investor by PitchBook in 2020.

Baton

In 2018, he co-founded Baton, a tech platform that optimizes trucking logistics by minimizing detention and layover times for truck drivers. Baton recently raised substantial funds from notable investors, including Maersk, Prologis, and Ryder.

Philanthropic Ventures: Operation Masks

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, he co-founded Operation Masks, a non-profit dedicated to providing PPE to medical workers. They successfully distributed supplies to various U.S. health centers.

His approach to prioritizing founders in the freight tech industry has been transformative. By focusing on specialists intent on revamping existing logistics and transportation methodologies, Jake Medwell has facilitated the development of innovative platforms, significantly influencing both emerging and established companies in the sector.