Chapter-4: Luminance Embrace

Growing up as an introvert can be tough. It fucking hurts when you realise everyone knows you don't have friends So many people believe that introverts are anti-social, kind of shy or even sometimes a little bit rude, but that couldn't be further from the truth. As an introvert, Cynthia always felt like an outsider among her peers. She preferred to spend time alone, reading, painting, or just sitting quietly with her thoughts. She somehow realised, she needs to move on. Having a past & regretting for it won't bring her prosperity.

Whenever she feels overwhelmed or anxious, she tries to step away for a few minutes and take a breather. With practice and patience, introverts can overcome any kind of social anxiety and also become more comfortable in social situations. At the beginning, however, she cannot deny that she had tried really hard to fit in, and it worked for a while, until she realised that she was not really happy and she constantly felt like she had to please everyone around her to make herself liked.

Her conversations with the mirror became a ritual of self-affirmation.

''So what I am alone? It's my decision to be alone. So what this person doesn't like me? I don't have to be friends with anyone. It takes away the burden of being a loner in a society that worships groupism.''

''My life now? I am perfectly fine. I spend most of my time alone and I've found a sense of community in online groups where I connect with like-minded individuals. I'm cautious not to get too attached, choosing instead to learn from diverse experiences, personalities, and ideas," she declared to the mirror, her reflection staring back with newfound strength.

It's a gradual transition but there are two ways to be an introvert in the modern society-either embrace yourself as an introvert or try to change yourself to fit in. There's no right or wrong, only decisions.

As she navigated her old school's hallways in her thoughts, she realized that being alone wasn't a sentence of isolation but rather an opportunity for self-discovery. Cynthia's conversations with her inner self evolved into a form of therapy, a way to reinforce her decision to prioritize authenticity over societal expectations. The loneliness she once felt transformed into a canvas for self-expression, as she immersed herself in her passions, whether it be the strokes of a paintbrush or the worlds created by the books she devoured.

In the midst of her high school days, one particularly challenging incident stood out for Cynthia. It was during the annual talent show, an event that seemed to magnify the differences between her and the more outgoing students.

The pressure to conform to the expectations of the school's social scene was at its peak. As the talent show approached, Cynthia grappled with the decision to participate. A part of her yearned to showcase her artistic abilities, yet the fear of judgment and rejection loomed like a shadow. In a moment of courage, she decided to exhibit her skill in painting, a passion she had nurtured in the quiet corners of her soul. On the day of the talent show, she nervously set up her canvas and easel, feeling the weight of curious eyes upon her.

As she began to paint, a hush fell over the auditorium. The vibrant strokes of color danced across the canvas, reflecting the depth of Cynthia's emotions. For a brief moment, the audience was captivated by the raw beauty of her creation. However, applause was replaced by an uncomfortable silence as some students failed to appreciate the subtlety and depth of her art. Whispers circulated, and a few stifled laughs echoed through the crowd. It was a pivotal moment that tested her resolve.

In the aftermath, she retreated to the solace of her thoughts, questioning whether she should have conformed to a more conventional talent or if she should have stayed hidden in the shadows. Her art became a source of pride, a beacon of authenticity that transcended the judgment of her peers. Although that moment was challenging, it marked a turning point in Cynthia's high school journey. It reinforced her commitment to staying true to herself, even if it meant facing the discomfort of being misunderstood. As Cynthia continued to navigate the complexities of high school, that talent show incident became a catalyst for her self-discovery, shaping her into the resilient introvert who would later find comfort and purpose in the embrace of her own uniqueness.