Prologue

Annabeth

Annabeth had always resented her father; after all, she had lived in California her entire life. So, when he informed her that they were moving to New York, she absolutely lost it. She cried, screamed, and even threatened to run away—anything her seven-year-old brain could come up with. But her father wasn't going to listen, so there she was, in their new house, bought solely because Helen, her stepmom, liked it.

Of course, she hated the house. It was too big for her taste, and her room was boring and lame for a six-year-old.

Annabeth swore to herself that she would hate this place forever, and for a year, she did just that. She didn't talk to anyone besides her family and made no friends besides the books she read.

Until she met the goofy, black-haired, sea-green-eyed boy.

She was walking back from school when she bumped into a boy who was running.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" Annabeth yelled at him.

"Sorry! I'm very sorry for getting you hurt. Are you okay?" he replied.

"I'm okay..."

"Hey, what's your name? I'm Percy... Percy Jackson."

Annabeth glared at Percy, still annoyed.

"I'm Annabeth," she muttered, not wanting to admit that his apology.

Percy grinned "Nice to meet you, Annabeth! Sorry again for bumping on to you."

Annabeth rolled her eyes but couldn't help but feel a slight bit of amusement. She had never met someone so cheerful. Percy seemed unfazed by her cold attitude.

As they walked together, Percy ranted nonstop about the city, school, and even shared a few stories about his life. Annabeth found herself reluctantly drawn into the conversation, her defenses gradually melting away. She discovered that Percy had a knack for making her laugh.

What Annabeth didn't realize was that she and this boy was going to be inseparable.

x-x-x