Chapter 1: Polar Opposites // RenGiyu

A/N

They have access to music technology in my AU. (guitars, keyboards etc.)

||5324 words||
・・・・・・・・・・・
Kyojuro Rengoku's POV:

"You are dismissed," Oyakata-sama declared, everyone bowed. I've always found the Hashira to be an astounding group of skilled individuals. Everyone has something they're good at! I've seen their clever thinking in action, well, most of them. Everyone except the Water Hashira, Giyu Tomioka. I've never heard him say anything, I normally don't have to lip read, but I do with him. Tomioka has quite the pale complexion. I've heard Kocho say he may be Vitamin D defiant, I wouldn't be surprised. I feel quite bad for him; no one ever speaks to him, except Kocho. I think Tomioka enjoys her company, I'll try and make an effort to include him more.

By the time I arrived home, the sun was setting over the horizon. The sky was painted a beautiful pink, mixed with orange and blue. The blue reminded me of Tomioka. I wonder what he's up to... Actually, now I think about it, where even is the Water Estate?

Giyu Tomioka's POV:

I sat in my empty living room, gazing out the window. I couldn't be bothered to move. I could feel my body being dragged down with exhaustion, yet I was too tired to sleep. Sigh. I thought of songs. I like music, the silence pained me. The thing about silence is that it's fragile. Even the slightest movement can break it at any moment. The sky became darker and darker. Isn't there a song about the sky? Hm...oh yeah, Mr Blue Sky. That's a good song, by Electric Light Orchestra, I believe.

The clock chimed, 00:00. It's late. I stared at the ceiling, I hope someone cares. I know Kocho cares, but I think she cares more about my physical health than mental. What am I on about, do I even have mental health? Then, I felt my eyes closing and I drifted off into the land of the unconscious.

3rd Person:

Tomioka awoke at seven AM, from a knock on his door. He slumped out of bed, his hair messily covering those crystal eyes. Tomioka pushed the door open, seeing non other than the Sun himself - Kyojuro Rengoku. "Hello there, Tomioka!" He exclaimed, making Tomioka wince at the loud noise, "Hello, Rengoku-san.." Tomioka replied, still waking up, "how did you know where I lived?"
"Kaname told me!" Rengoku smiled brightly, somehow radiating a strange warm feeling.
Tomioka pondered a little, 'I'm assuming Kaname is his crow...What is that behind him-' With a loud, "KAW KAW!" Followed by the sound of a bird, Kanzaburou smacked into the back of Rengoku's head. Tomioka hadn't quite realised what had happened for a few seconds, standing in shock.

"Rengoku-san?..Are you alright?" Tomioka lifted Kanzaburou into his hand, patting him a little. Rengoku rubbed the back of his head, chuckling, "that crow of yours is mighty forceful!" Tomioka's face flushed red out of embarrassment, looking at the ground, then at Kanzaburou. "He isn't, just clumsy...I guess."

Kanzaburou chirped again, not as loud this time, "Kaw Kaw! Giyu Tomioka, Sanemi Shinazugawa and Obanai Iguro need to report to Master now!" Tomioka sighed, knowing he would have to go through the hell of brushing his hair in less than five minutes. "Kanzaburou, when you go back to Master, tell him I'll be a little bit late." Tomioka hoped it was clear enough for Kanzaburou to remember. "I'd better be going then... Sorry," Tomioka sighed as Kanzaburou flew-wobbled away.

He and the Flame Pillar never really spoke to one another, well, Tomioka never really spoke to anyone. Something inside Tomioka wanted to talk to Rengoku more. But why? What was this sudden desire to invite him inside and chat over a mug of hot chocolate? Tomioka didn't know why it had to be hit chocolate, but it did.

Rengoku then spoke, "don't apologize, Tomioka! I'll see you around, hm?" Tomioka nodded. Rengoku was silently admiring the small gestures Tomioka did when he was speaking. The little 'tap tap' sound it made when he was gazing somewhere in the distance. Rengoku had noticed that Tomioka didn't really like eye contact. Throughout this conversation, Rengoku had to be looking at Tomioka's lips to understand what he was saying. Some little thoughts creeped into his head, but were immediately pushed away.