Seeing

It all started in sixth grade.

Well, at least that's when it got big. Worse? I don't know.

I'd be in math class, for example, and find myself staring out the window next to my desk. Just like that, a minotaur would be walking down the street amongst the people. I'd blink and rub my eyes (I had to be just tired, right?) but it was still there.

Or when I'd be doing something so simple as doing the chores, and I'd feel an inconsolable feeling of something staring at me. Watching me. It felt like I was the focus of the gods themselves, but I can say with a certainty that having that feeling all the time isn't a good thing.

Even Grover, my best and only friend, was changed through my eyes. He was a saytr; a human with the legs and tail of a goat and horns sprouting amongst the straight black hair on his head. 

I'd thought I'd been going crazy at first, but somehow I almost (almost) became convinced I wasn't. 

That's how I landed here, in a pit of my own mind, taking meds at least twice a day, and being fussed about by near everyone I know.

Mom pulls the car to a stop on the side of my school. "Have a wonderful day," she says as I open the door. "Be careful, remember to listen to Grover..."

"Okay, Mom." I manage a smile to meet her own

I should've walked away and closed the door by then. But I can't help worrying just as much about her as she does about me. My head's conjured up horrible things happening to her, and no matter how much I would try and try to get her back...

it would never be enough.

The vision of her being grabbed and shredded into nothing by a minotaur is always fresh in my mind. 

"Percy," Mom begins, the caring in her I appreciate, but...

It never happened, it never will, I try to convince myself, finally closing the door and walking up the steps. Crowds swarm around on every direction once I enter the hallways.

"Hey Percy!"

I turn to meet the owner of the familiar voice. There stands Grover, his beaming brown eyes meeting mine for a moment. But instead of holding his gaze, mine wanders to the top of his head where tiny horns are sprouting from his hair.

Did I take enough this morning? was the first thought that sprung through me.

"Percy, you okay?" Grover noticed my stare, specifically where I was staring. "Did you.. take the medication today?"

"Yeah." I was in a hurry this morning, woken up late... I toaok enough, didn't I? It was forever till Mom trusted me to do it on my own, I don't want to worry her all over again. Gods, please let nothing happen today.

Grover eyed me. He was always on top of this. Even in my visions, he's always been my protector, whether I wanted it or not. "Let's get the nurse to look at you." I open my mouth and he swiftly adds, "just really quick."

"Grover," I start, but stop. I'm tired right now, and Grover isn't big on arguing. Neither of us wants that right now.

As Grover leads the way to the nurse's office, my heart sinks a little. What would I give for my life to not revolve around this?

...

[A/N: Hey guys! This is my first Percy Jackson fanfic, and all i know of the franchise is having watched 5 episodes of the Disney+ show lol. I thought it would be interesting to explore an idea somewhat teased about in episode 1-- was Percy just seeing things, and what was going on with him?]

Updates every Wednesday!