The Folk of the Air (Series) By Holly Black

!!SPOILER WARNING!!

I started this series in the early winter of 2023 and finished the main three books of the series in the late winter of 2023.

I say main books because The Folk of the Air consists of three books that all take place in the same time and universe together (time meaning the same plot). Those three books are The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, The Wicked King by Holly Black, and The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black. There are more books outside of those three, however, that I BELIEVE (I could be wrong) take place in the same universe, but have a different plot and different main characters, as well (I do plan on reading those book too). That concludes my PSA/Disclaimer.

Before I even start my review on the series let me start with this: if the name Holly Black sounds familiar that may be because (for me at least) she was one of the authors who wrote the series The Spiderwick Chronicles. I had recognized her name through that series that I read in the fourth grade (I am about to be in college in fall of this year), and I was so happy! I am aware that this series I am reviewing has been out for a while, but I had a very large reading slump a majority of high school, so I didn't know about it, but when I found out, I read the whole series and was thrown out of the slump for good! I guess that was my second PSA/Disclaimer....

Onto the review (I mean it this time.)

Reviews:

The Cruel Prince By Holly Black:

This book to me personally is classified as a YA (darker) Fantasy book, but it has a subcategory with a slow-burn enemies to lovers romance. I say darker fantasy because Black is known as the Faerie Queen, and she portrays Faeries as Fae or The Good Folk. She does not portray them as fairies, she doesn't portray Tinkerbell. I am a Witch (typically I practice Paganism, but am well versed with knowledge on Fae), so I know that Fae are not like the ones we see on Disney Channel. Fae are more dark, mischievous, different, blunt, etc. than mortal humans, so we see them as more "morally grey" (if you will) to "evil" (I personally don't think they're evil they just think differently than us). Anyway, because of that "realism" on Fae I would classify it as more dark fantasy.

The writing style that Black takes on in the series as a whole is phenomenal. The descriptions are so vivid, but not overly described to the point where it feels unnecessary. I can clearly see everything she is describing from: places, above ground and underwater, to the characters, to even emotions. The way she describes everything is stunning. I have always felt it hard to put myself in other people's shoes but with our main character Jude, that is simply not the case. I felt angry when Jude was angry, I felt conflicted when Jude was conflicted, sad when she was sad, hatred whenever she wanted to slash Cardan with her sword, and I felt how confused she was when it came to love. when I say everything about Black's writing style is amazing I mean EVERYTHING.

The pacing of this first book is amazing. It had just the right amount of lulls where you can just see life in Elfhame happen, but even during the lulls the plot was still happening. Outside of the lulls the pacing is not too fast but not on the slower side by any means. This book is a quick read. I feel like the pacing is so great because of the writing style, as well. With the way the plot moves the pace is quick, but how everything happens is gradual and, in a way, realistic. The best way for me to explain it is like this: If we were in, slightly, less modern times this whole book is how a monarchy may play out in the real world.

I know everyone always questions romance in books, so moving onto the subgenre of the slow-burn, enemies to lovers...

When I say slow-burn, I mean SLOW-BURN! Please do not go into this book thinking it is a romance, it is not. I said it before it is more of a subgenre, where the main genre is Dark Fantasy. In The Cruel Prince, specifically, there is very little romance between Jude and Cardan. There is still romance, but it's not all in your face. The enemies to lovers barely kicks in, if at all. It's one of those books where the romance could go one way, another way, or not happen at all... SPEAKING OF THE FIRST WAY... Locke... I loved him at first... I thought he was the best dude around, but after learning ALL about this dude... my trust issues have never been higher... in a good way.

Overall, this first book in the series left me: confused(in a good way), heart-broken (even with the lack of romance), and longing to read more and get the answers I wanted. Everything about this first book was fantastic. It ended how a first book should.

The Wicked King By Holly Black:

This second book in the series has the same review for writing style as the first book, so I'm only going to touch on new things unique to this second book to avoid being repetitive.

Although the writing style is the same as the first book the pacing was slightly different. To me personally, it felt a little faster paced, which surprised me (in my reading experience) the middle book, half way through a series book, or the second book in a trilogy are typically more slower paced as it is setting up for the main conflict and falling action for the rest of the series. Don't get me wrong, The Wicked King does just that but and it probably is a tad bit slower, but it feels fast...This is probably because the main conflict of this book is war, it's overthrowing a monarchy, it's corrupted government... The pace feels urgent, it feels realistic. The reason the pace felt fast (in a good way) was because Jude felt anxious, she was planning, prepping, trying to keep Cardan as king, her needs were urgent, and Black does a great job of making it feel that way. The build up that was made for everything was fantastic too.

We do see a lot more of Cardan in this book too. I really enjoyed seeing Cardan and Jude forced to work together and being closer to each other. They are so awkward with figuring out how they feel and they both go about it by being mean to each other.

Speaking of those two...

The slow-burn does indeed start slow-burning way more in The Wicked King. It becomes more prominent (probably because Cardan and Jude are in closer proximity everyday) and interesting. It still isn't the main plot point of the book, but when the romance is happening it feels very natural, but unnatural at the same time... which is the point. Jude is a mortal in Faerie, she also has never felt romantic attraction toward many, if at all, and Cardan being her first serious attraction is hard for her, because loving someone you thought you hated is unnatural it is confusing, and Jude is only 17 years old. I will say that there is for sure some YA romance in this book now, so just be aware of that. Once again, my trust issues were breaking the charts, scales, bank, etc. at the end... I was sobbing... It broke me... in the best way possible but also the worst.

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black:

As prefaced before the writing style is the same in The Queen of Nothing as its prequels above, so i will not be touching on that, for the sake of reviews.

Once again, this final book in the main series had a faster feel to the plot. This is when the main conflict gets resolved and it is a time of war. Like, war is happening in this third book, so if I was second-hand anxious and like felt like I was going to war, I would be disappointed. The pace, yes, is faster. War is urgent so it feels like it is moving fast, but the information that is given is never glazed over. Black mentions all the important bits of information, and there are still a couple lulls where Jude has time to not panic about war, but those lulls are entertaining and intriguing.

Everything was finally connected in the final book, any missing pieces and secrets were revealed. It made the series come together as a whole and just be wonderful.

WE FINALLY GET OUR ENDGAME JUDE AND CARDAN!!

I was fist pumping the air when it was finally confirmed and everything was safe. Moments before though I truly was crying my eyes out because I thought Cardan was finna die. Ms. Black did not need to do that to me y'all... but I'm glad she did.

Basically, i was at the edge of my seat the whole entire time. I loved learning more about minor character like Vivi, Oak, Taryn, and even Heather. This book was the icing on the cake. Loved it.

I absolutely love this series, please please go read it.