The King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories By Holly Black

!!SPOILER WARNING!!

This is an optional read from the same universe and timeline as The Folk of the Air series by Holly Black. I do, however, recommend reading it.

Review:

The King of Elfhame by Holly Black is a short YA (darker) fantasy book. It's filled with short stories from The Folk of the Air series, but from Cardan's point of view.

Overall, the writing style is consistent with The Folk of the Air series, so the descriptions are flawless and beautiful, as usual.

I did love seeing things from Cardan's point of view. Black gave us an inside look on his childhood through his eyes, she gave us his perspective on how he thought about Jude and how he saw her before they were officially together.

The way Black wrote Cardan's thoughts was masterful. I could tell it was her writing, but it really was Cardan's thoughts and feelings. The way Black showed Cardan's feelings for Jude was heart-breaking, funny, and angering all at different times, but it really shows you how hard it is to figure out your emotions.

I also didn't think I could dislike Locke even more than I already did, but I was proven wrong... I will stand by my statement of: Locke is just a faerie f***boy.

I enjoyed learning more about Nicaisa's relationship with cardan, and just more about her in general. it took my strong dislike of her down to a neutral opinion on her. I can understand some of her thought processes, but definitely not all.

As I said before, this book is an optional read, but I do recommend it. If you do read it you also get to see the FANASTIC illustrations done by Rovina Cai. Her artwork is amazing.