six

The water rushes against him, fueling his competitive nature as he resurfaces, inhaling a deep breath as he sees you not too far ahead, your hair damp and sticking to your back, and he swears he's never seen anything better.

He slows down, deciding not to be the selfish prick your break up had turned him into, and instead relishes in the sounds of your gleeful laughter as you wrap your arms around the dock post, his gaze softening as you claim your rightful victory.

"Have you lost your spark, Colonel?"

Your teasing voice reaches his ears, his rank spilling from your lips catching him off guard at the sultry way it rolls of your tongue, his head cocking to the side as he nears you. He can feel his lower abdomen aching, the sound of it coming from your lips making his head immediately transport to much less innocent thoughts.

"Ha, I haven't lost anything, Schatzi," he lilts back, his eyes lingering on your damp form as you push hair from your face, his eyes drawn to the movement of your digits smoothing through your hair as you grin.

"Some may say I let you win. After all, who better than to have as my passenger Prinzessin?" He quips teasingly, the warm coloring to your cheeks doing something to him, his gaze trained on yours as you wade back onto the beach.

"Whatever. All I know is I don't have to drive. A win is a win," you grin, his eyes rolling playfully at your cocky response, his smile lingering on his lips as he watches you slip that sheer coverup back on, the wet drops on your body only making it cling to your form.

He swallows harshly as he towel dries off, before sliding his own top back on, tossing his keys into the air before he swiftly catches them. He follows behind you as he walks to his truck, his eyes lingering on your hand reaching for the door.

He's quick to come up behind you, chest brushing your back as he opens the door before you, his other hand coming to gently rest on your lower back.

"Your chauffeur awaits," he says, watching your head turn slightly to look at him behind you, shaking your head with a grin on your lips. He meets your eye contact, the look in your eyes something he hasn't seen in a long time.

Attraction. Arousal.

He can't help the images invading his head of bending you over the seat and taking you, the thought spiking his heart rate as he remembers just how good it felt to have you under him. On top of him.

It makes part of his brain malfunction, eyes desperately clinging onto the look in your gaze, before you're sliding into his passenger seat. He shuts the door as he rounds the car, sliding into the drivers as he starts the ignition by pushing the button.

"Thank you."

His voice is a soft rasp as he speaks, making your eyebrows pull together, not entirely sure what he's thanking you for. You lean back in the passenger seat, drawing your knees to your chest as you look at him.

"For what?"

"Everything. You're still here with me even after I was the biggest dick to you. I don't deserve it."

Your eyes meet as you feel your gaze soften, watching him as he turns his attention back to the road, one of his hands balled into a fidgeting fist in his lap. You reach out, placing your hand over his as your fingers curl around his palm.

"People can change. That's the beauty of humanity, isn't it? Being able to forgive and move forward."

He nods, the simple touch of your hand on his enough to ease the tumultuous thoughts racing inside of his head. His hand holds yours a little tighter, pressing his lips into a smile as he gazes at you.